PDA

View Full Version : best sand for rays/sharks? silica? pool sand? sandbox?

hrairguitar
07/25/2013, 01:48 AM
Setting up a 380 gallon tank. Going to stock it with a ray and 2 small sharks.

I currently have about 150-200 lbs of a mixture of that sand that's apparently already cycled but obviously need more

I've used that sand before with a coral cat shark and it caused a lot of redness on its belly so I don't want that stuff to be on the top layer. I'm thinking the cycled sand I have will cover about an inch or 2 and be primarily for filtration purposes. I want a good 4 inches of sand and wondering what my best bet will be.

I've done a lot of reading and I see a lot of people saying silica sand, pool filter sand or even sand box sand.

Any advice? Those 3 types of sand I listed are super cheap so that's appealing but I need to ensure they don't cause any belly redness which can lead to infection.

Zoodiver
07/25/2013, 07:48 AM
A small or medium size aragonite sand is best. It will help maintain a stable pH for you as well as provide a good surface for them to lay on. Silca based sand you should avoid. I'd also suggest avoiding fine/light sand. Sharks and rays will kick up fine sand and it will clog your filter and give you a nice foggy haze in the water column.

When you get redness on the ventral size of a shark, it's not the sand that is doing it. It's a bacteria in the sand starting to spread to the animal. Shark skin is tougher that almost any other fish out there when it comes to making contact with the substrate.

hrairguitar
07/25/2013, 09:27 AM
So I've called a bunch of compaines in the area and nobody has heard of aragonite. Is there another name that construction/landscapers would call it? Id like to avoid buying it from the LFS and being overcharged

hrairguitar
07/25/2013, 01:31 PM
Anyone?

hrairguitar
07/25/2013, 01:58 PM
anyone?

Allmost
07/25/2013, 02:03 PM
dont think u can find aragonite elsewhere ...

its calcium carbonate ...

speak to your LFS, see if you can get bulk ... might save some there.

Zoodiver
07/26/2013, 07:04 AM
http://www.caribsea.com/itempage_marinesubstrate_aragalive.htm

I'd go with something 1mm-2mm in size for a small shark tank like you are doing. I've gone as big a 3-5mm for large tanks with big adult sharks and had no issues.

Edit: Another thing to think about - you only need enough substrate to cover the bottom. There is no set lbs/gallon rule to follow when doing a shark tank. Going over board with depth will often times cause more problems.

Krisjm23
09/05/2013, 11:23 PM
You can get it on eBay now Snow White aragalive sand