PDA

View Full Version : Re-Sealing a Tank

Mischke
07/26/2013, 07:53 AM
I've purchased a tank off of craigslist and have decided to reseal it (silicone is stained green). If i remove the silicone that holds the glass together how to hold the tank together to reseal it? I know there are tools that help create a 90 degree angle but am unsure of what they're called.

Also if i wanted to take the frame off of the tank, and euro brace it instead how do i know how thick and wide to make the panels?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2clown
07/26/2013, 09:18 AM
You can either buy or rent corner clamps, at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Or you can place the tank on a level solid work bench or on saw horses. Then remove the current silicone with a razor knife or razor blades. Then use acetone to remove the residue. While you are the hardware store pick up some frog tape (painter's tape), GE I 100% silicone door and window. You could, if you're careful use the tape on the corners to hold the tank together while you reseal it. I would use an equal thickness glass as the tank to euro brace the tank. Just take a tape measurer and measure it to find the thickness.

shifty51008
07/26/2013, 09:25 AM
if your gonna re seal the whole tank use RTV 100 series silicone, not the GE I it has alot better holding strength.

ganjero
07/26/2013, 09:26 AM
GE I 100% silicone door and window.

Dont use this to reseal a tank, it's not good enough. This silicone is good for baffles in a sump, where the pressure is low and if the seams fail the water is still contained in in the sump.

Corner clamps and bar clamps is what you need. If the tank is small enough duct tape or some masking tapes could be used.

ca1ore
07/26/2013, 09:38 AM
Reseal or rebuild? I've certainly resealed a tank - remove the bead of silicone in the inside edges and corners and replace with new - but have never felt the need to completely disassemble a tank and rebuild it. Can't imagine the green staining would penetrate the silicone holding the panels together.

ganjero
07/26/2013, 10:53 AM
Reseal or rebuild? I've certainly resealed a tank - remove the bead of silicone in the inside edges and corners and replace with new - but have never felt the need to completely disassemble a tank and rebuild it. Can't imagine the green staining would penetrate the silicone holding the panels together.

Unfortunately what you did, did not do much. To reseal a tank you have to take it apart and rebuild it.
The seams (or seals) are in between the two panels of glass, what you removed and replaced doesn't do much structurally. The bead of silicone in the edges mainly serves as a protective layer to the seams, and if removed and replaced it can do more harm than good. By removing it you could damaged or compromised the seams and the bond between new silicone and old silicone is not as strong as it was when the seam and protective layers where originally formed as one.

ca1ore
07/26/2013, 08:48 PM
Doesn't really seem worth doing then, does it!

Deep Reef
07/27/2013, 10:39 AM
I determined that it wasn't really worth it. I asked the same questions a week or so ago and unless you are going to take it apart it is not worth it to play around. fill the tank with water and let it sit for a few days. if you see bubbles between the glass panels then your tank is going to leak and should be torn apart and resealed with RTV 100 series. if no bubbles or bubbles under the excess interior caulk than only your cosmetic caulk is damaged and then it's your choice. I chose not to do anything as only removing the interior excess could weaken the tank. besides if your water quality is good you will have coriline grow on that caulk anyway..

ymmv

good luck

Reefocd
07/27/2013, 10:44 AM
I posted a recent thread on my observation of 12mm (1/2 inch) tanks being built these days and noticed no vertical seals and don't know about bottom as covered by sand.... I also wonder if seals are added substantially later in build process to make them a seperate component all together vs creating seam and seal at exact same time in build making them one component? I wonder same thing on adding bottom euro bracing, it must be after the initial build as it's alot to do before silicone goes off. Anybody know the actual process of some of the major glass tank builders?