PDA

View Full Version : Distilled White Vinegar in water change bucket, am I okay?

cab395
07/26/2013, 06:42 PM
So, today I cleaned out my aquarium with a 1:1 vinegar (5% acetic acid) : water solution because I had some hard water spots from when it was a freshwater aquarium. I made the solution in my water change bucket, then gave it a really good rinse to where I can no longer smell any vinegar or anything. Any vinegar left on the glass should evaporate out, since it was distilled vinegar with no impurities, right? I should be okay to keep fish in the aquarium and continue to use the bucket for mixing salt?

Acetic acid has a boiling point of 118 C, a bit above water's 100 C, so I'm assuming the solutions boiling point would be somewhere between the two. But the vinegar will evaporate out and everything will be fish-safe, correct? Thanks.

chrisfont23
07/26/2013, 06:55 PM
Yes. People dose much more as a carbon source to lower nitrate. U r fine.

cab395
07/26/2013, 07:06 PM
Thank you very much!

lurch71
07/26/2013, 08:06 PM
It's also the best thing for cleaning your powerheads

Breadman03
07/26/2013, 08:59 PM
Vinegar is about the best thing for our tanks because it cleans effectively and a little contamination is harmless.

disc1
07/26/2013, 09:14 PM
Acetic acid has a boiling point of 118 C, a bit above water's 100 C, so I'm assuming the solutions boiling point would be somewhere between the two. But the vinegar will evaporate out and everything will be fish-safe, correct? Thanks.

Useless chemistry fact... The boiling point of a mixture will almost always be higher than the boiling point of any of its constituents. In this case the bp would definitely be higher than 118.

Not that it has anything at all to do with your question. Just throwing out a tidbit of knowledge.

Vinegar is probably the safest thing you could have used. Many of us dose it into our tanks on purpose. There shouldn't be any appreciable residue, but even if there was it wouldn't be any problem at all.

cab395
07/27/2013, 09:19 AM
Useless chemistry fact... The boiling point of a mixture will almost always be higher than the boiling point of any of its constituents. In this case the bp would definitely be higher than 118.

Not that it has anything at all to do with your question. Just throwing out a tidbit of knowledge.

Vinegar is probably the safest thing you could have used. Many of us dose it into our tanks on purpose. There shouldn't be any appreciable residue, but even if there was it wouldn't be any problem at all.

Hmm, good to know. I always thought the way to raise vapor pressure (lower boiling point) of a liquid was to add a more volatile liquid. You learn something every day I guess. Thank you! And thanks everyone else for the peace of mind.