PDA

View Full Version : Need help on sump design

lwillis22
07/26/2013, 07:40 PM
I have a 240 gallon that I have for sale now as I didn't think I was going to be able to figure anything out for a sump for it as the stand limits me. Someone was here today and mentioned putting a tank along side of the big tank to be the sump. Well, my tv is next to this tank so could probably set a 90 gal tank there as a sump and have my skimmer in there. My question is, what kind of a design would you have for a sump like this? Does the sump have to be at a lower water level than the pump?

nlgill13
07/26/2013, 10:04 PM
My question is, what kind of a design would you have for a sump like this? Does the sump have to be at a lower water level than the pump?

the sump doesn't need to be lower then the pump unless you don't want to use a pump and just go gravity feed.

Just a quick question regarding your stand for the 240G...how tall is the stand?

A sump next to your tank isn't going to look pretty, but it has been done.

Twistofer
07/26/2013, 10:22 PM
Sumps are traditionally at a lower water level than your display tank. I have seen designs where the "sump" was above the main tank. That one was designed to have a refugium with a couple of mangroves and aquatic plant life found in a saltwater marsh. It was quite clever. The pump supplied water from the main tank to the refugium and the overflow drained into the main tank. The system had an external protein skimmer which fed off the refugium back into the main tank.

The thing that kind of bothers me is that you have some major electrical equipment next to your tank. That can be a real hazard. Salt water is an excellent electrical conductor.

lwillis22
07/27/2013, 05:35 AM
The stand is 24" but that isn't the biggest problem. The biggest problem is the stand has dividers in it so the first section is 48" long, second and third section is 22" and 23".

Reefmedic79
07/27/2013, 09:09 AM
Your stand is only 24" tall? A 40B would make a great sump, it would only leave you with 8" of head space, but with the right skimmer that is all you would need. with plenty of space for heaters and a return pump, or you have 12" of space outside the tank for an external return which is what I would suggest.

The other 2 compartments could house any reactors or even a small fuge that you may want, and I would drill 1 or 2: 1-2" holes in each divider to run pipes through to run everything in and out of the sump.

Dmorty217
07/27/2013, 01:12 PM
I have a 240 gallon that I have for sale now as I didn't think I was going to be able to figure anything out for a sump for it as the stand limits me. Someone was here today and mentioned putting a tank along side of the big tank to be the sump. Well, my tv is next to this tank so could probably set a 90 gal tank there as a sump and have my skimmer in there. My question is, what kind of a design would you have for a sump like this? Does the sump have to be at a lower water level than the pump?

Build yourself a stand and open up your possibilities, I built mine fore my 220g so I didn't have to get on my knees to look at my tank, here is my 50g sump

Dmorty217
07/27/2013, 01:15 PM
Build yourself a stand and open up your possibilities, I built mine fore my 220g so I didn't have to get on my knees to look at my tank, here is my 50g sump

And the stand, still needs a few finishing touches but you get the idea. Since I built the stand taller I also built a 6" walking plank that doubles as a nice bar so easy maintenance and beer holder