PDA

View Full Version : Switching from LED to Metal Halide-Acclimation help!

Red_Ant
07/26/2013, 11:01 PM
So I'm still new to the hobby and decided to replace my 160 watt Maxspect Razor with a 250 watt metal halide (Hamilton Cozumel reflector). I made the switch because I would have had to get two Razors for my 36x36x24 tank.

How do I acclimate my tank/corals to the new lights. I have heard shorten the light cycle to using window screen materials. But, those were suggestions when adding a new coral. I haven't seen anything on acclimating a tank to metal halides when going from powerful LEDs.

I only have a few coral frags( zoas, hammers, frogspawn and a couple chalices)in the tank now and an anemone. I would like keep everything alive during the switch. Help!

Red_Ant
07/27/2013, 06:38 AM
Morning bump

Reefmedic79
07/27/2013, 09:01 AM
If you have the means to raise and lower the lights, that is the easiest way, IMO. Start with the lights a couple feet from the water surface and lower it a couple inches a week until your at the height you want them.

The shortened light cycle and screen mesh techniques or combination of both if you want to be really careful, will work just fine for a complete tank as well.