PDA

View Full Version : live rock question

adamday
07/27/2013, 03:10 PM
I have a 29g reef/fish set up(my 1st tank). Its been running about 4 months now and I am truely addicted already. So I am ready to upgrade to a larger tank. Currently my 29 has a hob filter. I will be starting up a 60g with a 40g sump.
When it comes to live rock I have read that I can do a 10-1 ratio of dry-live rock. Then let it go through a prolonged cycle till until I add livestock. For the purpose of saving $$ so I can get better lighting.
I guess 1st question is that true? If yes what is a good price for dry rock and is it safe to order online......any recommendations on a store?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Lynxone
07/27/2013, 03:22 PM
I'm not sure what the recommended ratio would be, but any dry rock will become live in time and having a piece or two of "live" rock will speed up that process. No sense in spending the $ for all live rock. Sounds like you have a good plan

tallball158
07/27/2013, 03:25 PM
I have a 29g reef/fish set up(my 1st tank). Its been running about 4 months now and I am truely addicted already. So I am ready to upgrade to a larger tank. Currently my 29 has a hob filter. I will be starting up a 60g with a 40g sump.
When it comes to live rock I have read that I can do a 10-1 ratio of dry-live rock. Then let it go through a prolonged cycle till until I add livestock. For the purpose of saving $$ so I can get better lighting.
I guess 1st question is that true? If yes what is a good price for dry rock and is it safe to order online......any recommendations on a store?
Thanks in advance for any help.

You do not even need any live rock at all. You can start the tank with just dry rock. I think it would be a big help to you if you read all of the stickies about cycling. As long as you have a food source for the bacteria to grow, it will. The live rock will only speed up the cycle time, because you are adding bacteria that has established on the live rock. All dry rock will become live rock after some time. Now as far as pricing, it can vary. I always use bulk reef supply for my dry rock, and have always been happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

TL1000RSquid
07/27/2013, 03:26 PM
You could do all dry rock, just have to introduce ammonia source to begin the cycle, generally though the more live rock the quicker the cycle will go.

I've been pleased with rock from Marco, marcorocks.com last time I bought I paid around $2.20ish a pound shipped.

adamday
07/27/2013, 05:30 PM
I have been looking around at different sites. Wow! There is a huge variety. Im sure the type you get matters but my inexperience is showing. I have no clue what type to order. Any suggestions

rich850
07/27/2013, 05:49 PM
There are a lot of sites that sell it for a couple bucks a lb but do you have a local reef club...around here it sells for $3 a lb at the most on the buy sell trade usually less than that but as far as dry rock I have heard good things about rock from reefcleaners and I know a few people who have ordered the Tonga branch from bulk reef supply and I have heard good things about Marco rocks.