PDA

View Full Version : Setting up QT tank

Kennyleary93
07/27/2013, 05:00 PM
I read the guide on how to properly set up a QT tank but I had some questions. This tank is going to be in the kitchen since it is the only room I have. It is a 10 gallon tank and with the placement of this tank would still like it to look nice instead of a bare tank with nothing it but a filter.

Do you have any recommendations on how I can accomplish this? Can I possibly still put some sort of life in it?

hossa81
07/27/2013, 05:06 PM
You could arrange a pvc course. If your other tank have corraline, take a piece of rock with corraline on it and let it spread onto the pvc and the rest of the tank.

Kennyleary93
07/27/2013, 06:31 PM
That might work. Any other ideas?

Kennyleary93
07/27/2013, 06:41 PM
Also, I have a Tetra EX35 laying around from when I had a freshwater tank, could that be used for my QT tank or are those strictly freshwater filters.

I feel this is a total noob question and im almost positive I can't use this filter. But I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Denbf58
07/28/2013, 06:49 AM
i use pcv pipe fittings and i take a piece of live rock from my sump and add it to the qt (remove rock if you have to medicate) you can also put a back ground on the tank to make look nice. it only has to be set up for a few months while you stock your dt

Denbf58
07/28/2013, 06:50 AM
also check this out http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2195588

Kennyleary93
07/28/2013, 01:51 PM
also check this out http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2195588

I have already read that, thanks though! I just has some other questions that were more specific. I might do what you said about putting some rock in there along with the pvc and the background. Thanks!

Is it a bad idea to have some hermits in there as it cycles? I have two that have their shells covered in purple coralline, more so than my rocks.

bnumair
07/28/2013, 02:08 PM
I would not put any rock or inverts if this qt will be used to treat fish.

maddmaxx
07/28/2013, 02:20 PM
agree wit bnumair,,, keep it empty except for pvc.. hermits wont work cause of medications, and rocks wont work cause of medications also, they will absorb the chemicals and then the rock is done really...background+pvc+equipment+water+fish= QT tank.....

Kennyleary93
07/28/2013, 02:26 PM
agree wit bnumair,,, keep it empty except for pvc.. hermits wont work cause of medications, and rocks wont work cause of medications also, they will absorb the chemicals and then the rock is done really...background+pvc+equipment+water+fish= QT tank.....

I realize that. If I had to medicate it I would remove the rock and inverts and put them in my DT. I just want to have that stuff in there as it cycles and until I need to medicate it, if I even have to.

If that is still a bad idea to keep it in there as it cycles and to remove it when I need to medicate it, thats fine. I also wanted to know, to speed up the cycling process of the new tank, could I just take the water I take out of my DT when I am doing a water change and put it in this QT tank?

metasinapsis
07/28/2013, 03:12 PM
You can use does artificial colorful corals. Are made from epoxy. And also there are some ceramic rocks

HumbleFish
07/28/2013, 03:21 PM
You can use does artificial colorful corals. Are made from epoxy. And also there are some ceramic rocks

+1 I've seen those "fake coral" decoration things at Petco/smart. They are kinda pricey. But as long as they aren't made of actual rock, they shouldn't absorb any meds. Just be 100% sure it's s/w safe.

sleepydoc
07/28/2013, 03:26 PM
I realize that. If I had to medicate it I would remove the rock and inverts and put them in my DT. I just want to have that stuff in there as it cycles and until I need to medicate it, if I even have to.

If that is still a bad idea to keep it in there as it cycles and to remove it when I need to medicate it, thats fine. I also wanted to know, to speed up the cycling process of the new tank, could I just take the water I take out of my DT when I am doing a water change and put it in this QT tank?

Until you have a fish with velvet or brook. There's no way I'd move anything from an infected tank to my DT, even an invert.

Water from your DT won't speed up cycling appreciably; the bacteria you need are on surfaces, not in the water column. It may help some by adding a small amount of organic material. You can keep a sponge or something else in your sump to use to seed the QT. I use an Aquaclear HOB filter and keep an extra sponge in my DT sump.

Kennyleary93
07/28/2013, 05:07 PM
Until you have a fish with velvet or brook. There's no way I'd move anything from an infected tank to my DT, even an invert.

Water from your DT won't speed up cycling appreciably; the bacteria you need are on surfaces, not in the water column. It may help some by adding a small amount of organic material. You can keep a sponge or something else in your sump to use to seed the QT. I use an Aquaclear HOB filter and keep an extra sponge in my DT sump.

In a perfect world, I just want to keep this stuff in there while it is cycling before any fish is put in. Once I have all of my livestock and hopefully there was no need to medicate it, I would put it back in my tank.

I feel there is some mis-communication going on lol. Of course, if their was an infected fish in the tank anything in that tank I would consider... infected. Therefore none of it would go into my DT.

bnumair
07/28/2013, 09:12 PM
as soon as u remove the rock and ornaments from qt u will more than likely throw the tank into cycle. rock being porous and most likely the housing on beneficial bacteria.... son as u remove it chances are mini cycle will happen. along with that issue u will also face algae issues and not just that rock can import much more to a qt tank than u wanna deal with.
its your setup do as you please but from my experience its not a good idea, its been proven over time what is why i wrote the sticky without rocks and recommend against it.

Kennyleary93
07/28/2013, 10:29 PM
as soon as u remove the rock and ornaments from qt u will more than likely throw the tank into cycle. rock being porous and most likely the housing on beneficial bacteria.... son as u remove it chances are mini cycle will happen. along with that issue u will also face algae issues and not just that rock can import much more to a qt tank than u wanna deal with.
its your setup do as you please but from my experience its not a good idea, its been proven over time what is why i wrote the sticky without rocks and recommend against it.

ahh ok that makes sense. I appreciate you replying! Looks like maybe some fake SW safe decorations and some PVC pipe. Any suggestions on how I can get some purple coralline onto the pipe or will that just die off anyway if I ever use medication?