PDA

View Full Version : Pulled back in after 20 years

TheGMan103
07/29/2013, 09:46 AM
Gang,
After 20 years of absence my kids convinced me to re-enter tankland. We are looking for a decent size tank 70-100 to setup. I am looking to keep things relatively simple with fairly aggressive fish. What I need to know since I have been out for a while is this. What do all of you recommend with respect to filtration? The last system I had setup was a 150gal 3 Eheim Cans, inline UV's and undergravels. Obviously now I have to consider a SUMP. wet/dry. I want something simple enough to train my 10 and 13 years old girls to handle while I travel.

Thoughts?
Also in regard to fish in a 70-100
A few damsels, tomato clown or 2, maybe a small trigger, volitan, eel. They want colorful so I felt those would be hardy and aggressive enough.

Any and all feedback is welcome.
Feel free to copy the replies to my email address at:
[email protected]

syrinx
07/30/2013, 02:53 PM
If you had good parameter before with that setup- why change it?

Breadman03
07/30/2013, 03:07 PM
I have a 75 gallon tank and like the footprint. A 90 has the same footprint, but is a little taller. Both of these tanks should be pretty readily available. However, a 120 has a more square footprint that I think I would like better.

I chose to use a sump due to the amount of maintenance needed to keep a canister clean. Use a sump with a quality (note:doesn't need to cost megabucks) skimmer, an auto-topoff to keep the salinity stable, and a return pump to get the water back to the display.

The sump provides a great place where you can easily plumb in dosers and reactors while keeping the display looking clean and organized. This does come with some increase in the risk of a water leak, but a properly plumbed tank really shouldn't have an issue.

Now, the million dollar question is: are you interested in corals, or will you at some point in the future? Your answer to this question can make a world of difference to what lighting system you should be considering.