PDA

View Full Version : Gfci

carevin
07/29/2013, 06:30 PM
Just making sure, but I'm still ok if I plug my GFCI into the wall socket and a surge protector into the GFCI correct?

r1racer
07/29/2013, 07:53 PM
Yes.

sleepydoc
07/30/2013, 01:10 AM
Yes. Surge protector probably isn't necessary, but won't hurt. They serve completely different purposes.

Spyderturbo007
07/30/2013, 06:14 AM
Be careful with the portable GFCI plugs if that's what you are using. The ones labeled OSHA compliant will trip during a power outage. So if you have quick brown out, your tank won't come back up with the rest of the stuff in your house.

I had a tank off for 3 hours because of a quick power blink two weeks ago when it was really hot.

Lucubration
07/30/2013, 09:05 AM
Be careful with the portable GFCI plugs if that's what you are using. The ones labeled OSHA compliant will trip during a power outage. So if you have quick brown out, your tank won't come back up with the rest of the stuff in your house.

I had a tank off for 3 hours because of a quick power blink two weeks ago when it was really hot.

Wow, thanks for that. I was actually looking at an OSHA compliant model, but now I'll look for one that automatically resets.

sleepydoc
07/30/2013, 09:56 AM
Never knew. (Never used one before, either.) Wonder why they're designed like that?

carevin
07/30/2013, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the info. I already ordered one from marinedepot. So here's to hoping it auto resets. PS. I'm guessing it doesn't.

The surge protector is basically because it has only 2 outlets on the gfci I think. I'll have about 4-5 cables to plug in. Therm,filter,lights,powerhead etc.