PDA

View Full Version : How to frag Zoa's

Bkoper
07/30/2013, 10:10 AM
As the title says, I am new to Zoa's and want to start learning about how to frag. I know I will need gloves and various cutting tools, but would truly be thankful for any info. I have watched You-Tube vids, but know that info fro experienced folks is gold.

Thanks ahead

Mattewell
07/30/2013, 10:47 AM
I'd suggest glasses or goggles also. You don't want to accidently get anything in your eye. There really isn't much to the actual fragging, just cut a polyp off with a razorblade and glue it to a frag plug with super glue.

88rxna
07/30/2013, 11:02 AM
What if they are established onto rocks? I can see just using a razor to separate polyps. But how do you detach it from the rock? Just "peal" it off with the razor?

Mattewell
07/30/2013, 11:12 AM
yes, I have had good luck cutting underneath the polyp on the rock. Just be sure to get as much of the base as possible. Live rock is pretty soft and you can also do a bit of digging with the razorblade. Of course its not good for the blade but they are cheap and can be replaced.

Mattewell
07/30/2013, 11:13 AM
By the way, I use straight edge razor blades.

aandfsoccr04
07/30/2013, 02:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-KGAH93qys

kichimark
07/30/2013, 02:51 PM
What if they are established onto rocks? I can see just using a razor to separate polyps. But how do you detach it from the rock? Just "peal" it off with the razor?

Nope. It is much better for the polyp if you cut some of the base rock underneath the polyp and glue that piece to the plug. If you peal the polyp from the rock you will greatly stress it and might even cause its demise.

terrypercula
07/30/2013, 03:02 PM
Don't do it with any open wounds, wear gloves, goggles, cover your mouth. Zoas and plays are no joke and they do give off dangerous toxins. That being said I use a straight edge razor and corafix glue. There are cheaper glue alternatives that do work. I do like placing them on pieces of rock rubble but if you want to do frag plugs they work well too.

Bkoper
07/30/2013, 04:55 PM
Great video.

Supplies I can list I need are :

1) Goggles - A very must due to toxins.
2) Wood chisels - seem to work from what I have read and watched.
3) Gloves - Rubber band top also to protect skin.
4) Bases - Can order online very cheap it seems.
5) Corafix Glue or alternative.
6) 2 containers for fragging only.
7) Bone cutters - Seems these help with the process.

Seems easy enough with time, as anything with these tanks.

Thanks much again. Anything else you feel I need let me know.

nystang
07/31/2013, 06:11 AM
While Coraffix is quite good and I use it at this time also, you can buy Lactite super glue gel. It is gel not a liquid like Coraffix and I like it better.
Another issue is if your zoa colony is located on a smaller piece of rock that can be removed from the tank or it is attached to the main rock in your tank. Cutting zoas off the rock in the tank is just a horrible experience. You most likely loose some of the polyps. If this is the case Don't try to cut all the polyps you intend to cut off. You may cut some of the polyps and release toxins to the tank that may stress other corals in the tank. Just do it over a longer period of time, several hours or days.

terrypercula
07/31/2013, 07:12 AM
While Coraffix is quite good and I use it at this time also, you can buy Lactite super glue gel. It is gel not a liquid like Coraffix and I like it better.
Another issue is if your zoa colony is located on a smaller piece of rock that can be removed from the tank or it is attached to the main rock in your tank. Cutting zoas off the rock in the tank is just a horrible experience. You most likely loose some of the polyps. If this is the case Don't try to cut all the polyps you intend to cut off. You may cut some of the polyps and release toxins to the tank that may stress other corals in the tank. Just do it over a longer period of time, several hours or days.

If you have to cut in the tank use a scalpel and cut the rock work not the ZOA. Take your time as well