Skimmer: Hydor Slimskin Nano
Light: TBD
Heater: Cannot recall brand
Powerhead: Cannot recall brand

Notes:
-Cycling for two weeks
-Skimmer installed one day ago
-Water tests came out good
-This is intended to be a FOWLR tank at first but introduce a couple soft corals later after a couple months.

My wife is not thrilled with the noise being emitted by the pumps and skimmer. The pumps can be replaced with quieter ones but I am wondering if having both the skimmer and live rock in the overflow is a good idea.

Do I have too much live rock?

Is the skimmer necessary in this type of setup?

Thank you for the help.

eastfernstreet
07/31/2013, 01:00 PM
I can't comment on the science involved, but I have 100+ lbs of live rock in my 90gal as well as a skimmer. Trust me, the amount of gunk my skimmer collects leads me to recommend that you go with BOTH.

Perhaps quieter pumps and some insulation?

Good luck!

moe458
07/31/2013, 01:17 PM
I can't comment on the science involved, but I have 100+ lbs of live rock in my 90gal as well as a skimmer. Trust me, the amount of gunk my skimmer collects leads me to recommend that you go with BOTH.

Perhaps quieter pumps and some insulation?

Good luck!

I completely agree. I have about 120lbs LR in my tank with skimmer and it collects real crap. I would go with both if I were you. Once you start with fishes, corals, etc in there and it goes out messy.

Reeferz412
07/31/2013, 01:35 PM
I would reccommend a more powerful skimmer. Perhaps an hob skimmer from, octopus, eshopps, aquamaxx, or deltec.

PatW
07/31/2013, 01:49 PM
Having a skimmer can't hurt with live rock will give you a more stable system. A margin of safety is your friend.