PDA

View Full Version : 7.8 ph

1biguncfan
07/31/2013, 01:24 PM
Ive got a 55 gallon with about 80 lbs of live rock. Have 2 clowns, a damsel, a lion fish, and a blenny. Ive been using testing strips until today. (had the tank up around a year and a half) Today I got an ATI testing kit. PH reads 7.8 I know this is low. Should I worry about it and try to correct it or just let it go and test to make sure it doesnt get any lower? Ive got no coral or anything so thats no concern.

1biguncfan
07/31/2013, 01:26 PM
Tested the water 2 times and came up both the same result. Tested at 2 and 3 oclock in the evening. Turn my lights on around 830 am and off around 4 pm

ca1ore
07/31/2013, 01:33 PM
By '2 and 3 o'clock in the evening' do you mean am or pm - I guess you probably mean the latter. Better to test for alkalinity. If alkalinity is right then pH doesn't matter all that much.

1biguncfan
07/31/2013, 01:43 PM
By '2 and 3 o'clock in the evening' do you mean am or pm - I guess you probably mean the latter. Better to test for alkalinity. If alkalinity is right then pH doesn't matter all that much.

Yes PM. The PH test is all I have right now. And of course when I say I turn my lights off around 4, I then turn on my actinics until the morning.

1biguncfan
07/31/2013, 01:45 PM
Before I knew most saltwater aquariums dont have them, I made a set of lids for my tank too. Would this bring my PH down?

dunc101
07/31/2013, 01:46 PM
IME, do not go chasing pH. That is a sure way to wreck some havoc. FWIW, my pH stays in the range of 7.7-8.1 depending on the time of year and time of day. In fact, I have never once tested my pH on my frag tank. I test for alkalinity and calcium as I run an SPS tank and frag tank. Are you seeing any problems with your reef?

dunc101
07/31/2013, 01:47 PM
Before I knew most saltwater aquariums dont have them, I made a set of lids for my tank too. Would this bring my PH down?

Actually, yes. Excessive CO2 is usually what causes pH to drop. I was not aware that you had a lid on the tank in my first post. Sorry about that. You do need some form of gas exchange. If you want a lid, look into making a DIY mesh lid to keep the fish in the tank, especially if you have wrasses as they jump a lot. A DIY mesh lid will also help better with keeping the tank cooler in the warmer months as well.

1biguncfan
07/31/2013, 01:51 PM
IME, do not go chasing pH. That is a sure way to wreck some havoc. FWIW, my pH stays in the range of 7.7-8.1 depending on the time of year and time of day. In fact, I have never once tested my pH on my frag tank. I test for alkalinity and calcium as I run an SPS tank and frag tank. Are you seeing any problems with your reef?

I only have one mushroom but he's not very happy. Stays all shriveled up most of the time. I haven't tried moving him around though because Ive been a little busy lately. Ill try moving him to see if that helps. The fish seem to be doing well. Ive had the 2 clowns for about a year, the damsel since the start of the tank, the lion fish for about 8 months, and the blenny for about a month.

1biguncfan
07/31/2013, 01:53 PM
Actually, yes. Excessive CO2 is usually what causes pH to drop. I was not aware that you had a lid on the tank in my first post. Sorry about that. You do need some form of gas exchange. If you want a lid, look into making a DIY mesh lid to keep the fish in the tank, especially if you have wrasses as they jump a lot. A DIY mesh lid will also help better with keeping the tank cooler in the warmer months as well.

I will def be doing that on my upgrade tank. I just got a 150 and Im leak testing for the 2nd time tonight. If everything checks out Ill fill up with sand rock and water this weekend and start the cycle. Then move everything after the cycle