PDA

View Full Version : Problem with storm

antole
07/31/2013, 03:19 PM
I have the the pro system the renew works great but the storm is having a problem. The “Monitoring” LED indicator blinks and system does not top off sump. I press the reset or yellow button and it stays solid for a second and then starts flashing again top of bin is full the sump level is not high I have switched the float sensors thinking that might be the problem. I purchased the system in DEC of 2012 and didn't get it hooked up until 2 weeks ago it worked fine for 10 days then started this. Any help would be appreciated.

bnumair
07/31/2013, 05:12 PM
if i am not mistaken storm only shuts down and blinks when either the fail safe top level sensor in the sump has triggered or low bin level sensor has triggered (3rd way is if time set has run and ATO level has not been attained). i am leaning towards the low level sensor inside the ro/di bin.
try that float and make sure its not stuck.

GenesisReefSys
07/31/2013, 05:22 PM
Hi Antole,

I think it may be as simple as the STORM™ having been inadvertently paused by pressing and releasing the yellow button once. Pressing momentarily and releasing again would resume top off operations if this is the case.

If there are other indicators flashing as well, you might want to take a look at the updated manuals available for download on our website. We recently greatly clarified the indicators' behaviors and meanings. The new manuals will certainly help resolve any issues better than the previous revisions.

Hope this helps; if not, please let me know.

Kevin

antole
07/31/2013, 05:37 PM
I have tried pressing the button several times I have also now checked the ro container float switches when the button is pressed the light will stop blinking for a brief second and then start flashing again

GenesisReefSys
07/31/2013, 05:56 PM
Hi antole,

Okay, let's take a closer look. First, make sure all of the sensors' connectors are firmly plugged into the control module. Sometimes they look like they're all the way in, but haven't really clicked in all the way. If they aren't all the way in there could be an intermittent connection.

Second, ensure all of the sensors are mounted all the way back in the notches of the shrouds, and the floats can move freely along the sensor stems. If they aren't mounted all the way back in the notches of the shrouds the floats may contact the shroud covers and be prevented from moving.

Third, make sure that the sensors are mounted in the correct positions based on the installation diagram that corresponds to the Operating Mode you are using (S2 is the most common mode, and is the factory default).

Finally, the "Monitoring" indicator you mention - is that the indicator near the yellow button or is it the "ROCv™ Monitoring" indicator on the left, about 2/3 of the way down on the Control Module? Check on page 6 of the STORM™ Manual available on our website at www.GenesisReefSystems.com/Manuals/ and follow the steps there to resolve the issue. If there are multiple indicators flashing there may be more than one issue to resolve, or it may be the last scenario shown on page 6 of the manual.

Please let me know what you find.

Have a good evening,
Kevin

antole
07/31/2013, 07:41 PM
I unplugged all connections and reconnected confirmed config and placement checked all shrouds and sensors all are in correct position I have unplugged the float switches 1 by 1 and finally got it to work by unplugging Failsafe Sensor 1 I am in mode 1. I have switched the sensor to a different one and it still is doing the same thing

GenesisReefSys
08/01/2013, 06:39 AM
Hi antole,

Based on this it is clear that the STORM™ Control Module and both sensors you swapped are working properly. Is it possible that Failsafe Sensor 1 is submerged, meaning the level sensor is in the closed state? This sensor should be placed high in the sump, out of the water at all times, even when the return pump is turned off. If it is ever closed, meaning the float is pushed up against the molded base flange of the stem, it will tell the STORM™ to stop top off functions since that would indicate the sump is too full. If Failsafe Sensor 1 is ever tripped (closed), it is necessary to resume top off functions by pressing and releasing the yellow Pause/Resume button. In normal operation Failsafe Sensor 1 will never be submerged.

Just to clarify, the level sensor would be in the closed state if you were to hold the sensor with the wire coming out of the bottom (opposite the proper installation), and the float slid down the stem of the sensor and came to rest against the molded flange. It is open when the sensor is positioned with the wire coming out of the top (proper installation) and the float slides down until it rests against the snap ring at the opposite end of the stem.

antole
08/20/2013, 08:00 PM
Ok so it worked well for another 2 weeks now back to the same problem no changes sump level is correct and nothing has been moved and now the renew is acting up to when turned on it is not powering the pump from the sump checked the pump and even plugged a plain light bulb in to it and nothing so i lower the water level back down and tried it again and nothing shut it off for a day it worked fine for 3 gallons and then bam the same thing any ideas???

GenesisReefSys
08/21/2013, 05:26 AM
Hi Antole,

Sorry to hear that the issue still hasn't been completely resolved. Would it be possible to send a short video to me via direct email at [email protected] that shows the indicators that are illuminated and/or flashing when the units have halted top off and water change cycles? Also, if it's possible to show the overall equipment setup that would be quite useful as well. I'm having a little trouble following from the above.

If no video is possible, can you please list the indicators that are illuminated on each control module when they halt, with their behavior (flashing or solid)? These will be key in figuring out why the units suspend their operation.