PDA

View Full Version : Taking rim off of 20 high for sump!

Charley Diesing
07/31/2013, 06:20 PM
I want to take my rim off of a new 20 high I'm using for my new sump. Reasoning for this is I'm going to have different chambers, and It'll be very difficult getting the glass in there with the rim on.

I don't think the support of the water will be a problem. Because I'm adding multiple baffles also the water line will be less then 3/4ths probably more like 1/2.

On that note, whats the best way of getting the rim off? I've heard of using hair blow dryers to warm up the rim.

Anyway all opinions appreciated.

-Charley

Tweaked
07/31/2013, 06:34 PM
My opinion is just that. However leave on, cut the baffles just a tad lower and you'll be fine. I'm always leaning on the edges of mine and banging it with something. Good to have the edge protection

H.reidi.MN
07/31/2013, 07:13 PM
Ya leave it on. I don't understand how the rim would effect your baffles ? In a sump your baffle would be around 4" from the top at the highest no? Also +1 for edge protection.

Lionfish666
07/31/2013, 07:29 PM
+ 1 just leave the rim.
If u start from the smallest section and move outwards it should be ok leaving the rim in, just put all the pieces in there from the start. With all the baffles in the sump off to the side you can just glue them in one by one,