PDA

View Full Version : moving tank how to clean rock/sand LOTS of algae

kipper1012
08/01/2013, 06:30 AM
I just got a killer deal on the 180gal tank from a person leaving the hobby.

here is my problem Algae LOTS of it he has not cleaned the tank or algae scrubber in 2 months. whats the best way to clean the sand and rock without doing harm

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p333/kipper1012/photo_zps4ab2b4d8.jpg

oscarinw
08/01/2013, 08:46 AM
3 Steps:

1. Start an aggressive water change regime. Use RO/DI and be consistent. 1st change could be 60% of water volume, 2nd change of 30%, then 3 changes of 20% and then subsequent 10% WCs. I recommend doing this weekly.
2. Do not overfeed. Give your fish 3 small meals they can make quick work of.
3. Skim. Give your skimmer good maintenance and/or make sure to be using a good one.

With that, in time, you'll get rid of your Green Hair Algae and your fish will enjoy the treatment...

Good luck with things!

HumbleFish
08/01/2013, 09:16 AM
Have you moved this tank yet?

If not:

1. Ditch his old sand (you can just use new "dry sand" to replace)
2. Setup the tank using 100% new water (MUST BE 0 TDS) - just make sure temp, pH & SG match perfectly with his old water
3. Scrub each & every one of those rocks before putting them back in to get off as much GHA as possible (just don't leave them out of s/w for too long)

Doing this won't 100% solve it, but it should at least put a serious dent in the problem. I would also buy a media reactor to run GFO in and invest in a decent CUC.

kipper1012
08/01/2013, 10:35 AM
Have you moved this tank yet?

If not:

1. Ditch his old sand (you can just use new "dry sand" to replace)
2. Setup the tank using 100% new water (MUST BE 0 TDS) - just make sure temp, pH & SG match perfectly with his old water
3. Scrub each & every one of those rocks before putting them back in to get off as much GHA as possible (just don't leave them out of s/w for too long)

Doing this won't 100% solve it, but it should at least put a serious dent in the problem. I would also buy a media reactor to run GFO in and invest in a decent CUC.
No I have not moved it yet I am moving it Saturday. Please forgive me This is my first saltwater tank but what is a cuc ?

Thanks for your input

HumbleFish
08/01/2013, 11:38 AM
No I have not moved it yet I am moving it Saturday. Please forgive me This is my first saltwater tank but what is a cuc ?

Thanks for your input

Clean up crew = snails, hermit crabs which eat algae. A sea hare would clean that up in no time, but it would starve after the job is done. And they are very delicate creatures.

Ya know, I've just assumed you are dealing with green hair algae based upon that one pic. But if I were you I would Google "bryopsis" under Google images and be sure you aren't really dealing with that. Bryopsis is a whole different ballgame.

smartwater101
08/01/2013, 11:47 AM
+1 on water changes and CUC. You're going to have a very happy CUC!

kipper1012
08/01/2013, 11:59 AM
No I don't think it's bryopsis.

Sorry I know what a clean up crew is I just didn't get the acronym :-)

Thanks for the help guys

kriv4o
08/01/2013, 12:12 PM
+1 on trashing the old sand. moving it might cause more issues. If you have the ime and space and if the tank is FOWLR(FISH ONLY WITH LIVE ROCK) I would get couple of brute trash cans fill them up with fresh SW(or you can even use the old tank water) and put the fish in there. With a powerhead in each they should be ok for at least a day. That would give you enough time so you don't rush the move.
As for the actual removal of the algae all of the above comments are spot one.
Most important thing you should remember is to take it slow. Nothing in this hobby happens fast, and I mean nothing.
Set your tank up, let the water clear and slowly acclimate your new pets to their new(old) home. Let the system run and keep up with the maintenance, and slowly your algae problem will disappear. Don't believe in magic potions that your LFS would offer in the form of chemical additives either.
Good luck with the move:)