PDA

View Full Version : Cardinalfish

BlazinNitro16
08/01/2013, 01:55 PM
Are bangaii cardinals the only cardinalfish that can be bred in captivity or are there other breeders out there that are breeding other types of cardinalfish too?

D-Nak
08/01/2013, 02:48 PM
Other cardinals are bred in captivity. Blue eyed, black and pajama cardinals via ORA come to mind. Since Banggais are born (released from the male's mouth) fully developed and can eat BBS right away, they're easier to raise than say a pajama, which has a pelagic larval phase.

BengalReefer
08/01/2013, 02:49 PM
I know at least Pajama Cardinals aren't hard, and I think I've seen the five line cardinals done too?

D-Nak
08/01/2013, 02:52 PM
I think it makes sense for those people who are breeding clowns to naturally transition to cardinals since they seem to easily breed in our tanks. Since we have rotifer cultures already going for the clowns, it's just as easy to feed them to cardinal larvae.

BlazinNitro16
08/01/2013, 02:58 PM
Yeah that makes sense. I feel that the bangiias are so much more common in the industry so why not try and breed other types that are less common.

D-Nak
08/02/2013, 02:08 AM
Yeah that makes sense. I feel that the bangiias are so much more common in the industry so why not try and breed other types that are less common.

I completely agree. My favorite are the blue-eyed (threadfin) cardinals. I have a few in my tank and I see a male holding eggs from time to time, but I have no idea how -- aside from ripping apart my tank -- to take out the pair (I don't even know who the mate is, just the male since he's got the eggs) to breed them.

BlazinNitro16
08/02/2013, 06:52 PM
Wow that's really cool D-nak. The threadfins have always caught my eye. It's not worth tearing the tank down that's for sure! Would It be worth trying a fry catcher for those that the male carry or does he never let go of them for you to get a chance at catching them?