PDA

View Full Version : Leak test

FsuNole
08/01/2013, 02:59 PM
I bought a 58 gallon Oceanic with overflow off craigslist and the silicone was looking pretty beat up so I scrapped it all out. Over the next few days I'll be cleaning the edges with vinegar to get the rest of the crud out and will be laying a fresh line of silicone down.

I will probably let the new silicone cure for at least 2 full days but once it sets how long should I leave water to do my leak test? Also I don't think it would matter but should I do this off the stand? I live in an appartment with outside entrances and I really don't want to leave the tank outside for everyone to see for that long. I'd prefer maybe one night at the most. In addition, there is a pretty noticable slant outside where it would sit (probably to avoid water buildup) is this something I should be concerned with?

thegrun
08/01/2013, 03:13 PM
If you competely removed sections of the old silicone you should wait two weeks before adding water for it to reach full strength.

organism
08/01/2013, 03:24 PM
+1, you definitely want to let that stuff completely cure before putting a lot of pressure on it.

FsuNole
08/01/2013, 03:30 PM
If you competely removed sections of the old silicone you should wait two weeks before adding water for it to reach full strength.

Yeah I completely scraped it all out of the corners... I didn't get between the glass pannels though if that's what you mean. I definitely want to be on the side of caution though. Ugh, been planning this tank for almost 2 months now. Guess I'll be waiting that much longer :debi: