PDA

View Full Version : New fowlr project

08/02/2013, 07:37 AM
Hi,

I'm planning to install a 40 breeder (fowlr) next to my 180g (mixed reef). The 40g will be sumpless with tunze 9004 skimmer. My fish list is:

Dwarf zebra lionfish
Toby or blue spot Puffer
Cherub Pigmy angel

Did you think that my bioload is to high?

Thanks for your help

hossa81
08/02/2013, 08:10 AM
I think that it should be ok, but never mix a puffer and lionfish!

namxas
08/02/2013, 08:35 AM
Agreed...puffers and lions don't mix. Tobies (blue spots are tobies too, BTW) are one of the worst puffers in terms of nipping. I have photos of toby-chewed lionfishes taken at LFS.

You might be able to pull off a similar look with a mimic filefish. They look like saddle puffers, altho there's a chance the filefish may be a nipper. That being said, we've kept bristletail filefishes with waspfishes and small scorps in the past with no nipping.

08/02/2013, 01:01 PM
I will have the same issue (fin nip) with the Cherub pigmy angel or the nipping is more prone to slow bad swimmer fish?

dppitone
08/02/2013, 02:15 PM
The question is on bio-load. IMO the answer is yes it's too much bio-load if you aren't a water changer. If it was me with an enclosed 40g I'd change 10 gallons or 1/4 of the water out (depending on the rock load) per week. If you do that, IMO it'll be OK.

As far as fish behavior - who knows? Nobody really. If it's a problem, take one of them out.

08/02/2013, 04:14 PM
Did you think that the pigmy angel is at risk with the dwarf zebra?

dppitone
08/02/2013, 04:20 PM
Lionfish are pretty spread out, an indication for other fish to keep their distance. That may make any fish uncomfy in a small space. This is just a generality and it's all a matter of opinion. It may work out fine, I can't say and nobody really can. But if you're asking my opinion, I personally wouldn't do that in a small tank. It doesn't mean I'm right, it's just my inclination. If I was definitely limited to the 40g and wanted to make some setup with a dwarf lion, I might do one male and and two female lions. I would find that interesting, and from the experiences I've read (all anecdotal, not science), such a mix will work. Maybe someone else with significant lion experience will chime in.