PDA

View Full Version : My Next Fish Purchase

jtroutt19
08/02/2013, 06:23 PM
Hey guys. I need some opinions on what to get. I have a 30gal reef 25 gal custom sump deep sand bed. I have 2 clowns and a Flame Angel. I bought the Flame knowing that it might nip at coral. Well the first 3 months it did great and left my corals alone. Now for some reason it has begun to nip at my hammer, star polyps, and favia. So its time to get rid of it. I need ideas on what to get. I was thinks about getting a diamond goby or a golden head goby. But read that they can kill your living sand bed. So please if you have the time give me some names of fish that you would recommend. I would like something that is colorful and active. THANKS!

triggreef
08/02/2013, 08:42 PM
Grab a neon dotty back or a small wrasse or 2

jtroutt19
08/02/2013, 09:45 PM
Grab a neon dotty back or a small wrasse or 2

What kind of wrasse would you suggest. And What do you think about Diamond or golden head sleeper gobies?

Ambition
08/02/2013, 09:47 PM
I highly recommend an orchid dottyback. Very bright colors and an very personable fish IME. My springer's dottybacks are a bit more personable IMO, but aren't as brightly colored unless looking at the blue striping on the face.

rssjsb
08/03/2013, 09:49 AM
I wouldn't put a sleeper goby in a tank that size for the reason you stated in your original post. It would likely kill any fauna in your sand bed and then starve.

Why not add a shrimp goby? Watchman gobies are hardy, brightly colored, and can be paired with a pistol shrimp. There are a lot of other colorful gobies too, that won't deplete your sand bed.

I would not recommend a dottyack unless it's a fridmani (aka orchid). The others are just too aggressive. You could do a blackcap basslet or a royal gramma. Both very pretty fish.

ca1ore
08/03/2013, 12:07 PM
Orchid Dottyback is a nice fish, though can get a bit grouchy. I would stay away from sleeper gobies, just too hard to keep fed. Watchman are similar looking, and much easier to keep. A yellow watchman is my favorite fish in my sons small tank.

Edit: I guess I pretty much just repeated the prior post :). Gospel then!

Deberber
08/03/2013, 04:33 PM
What type of clowns?

smkkib
08/03/2013, 05:13 PM
I have the same question of you. I have a flame hawk, you may get one of them. I'm thinking of getting two percula in to the tank. i was thinking of getting a golden head goby as well but i need to find a smaller in size.

gsiegel
08/04/2013, 09:05 AM
+1 on the flame hawk
Love mine

snorvich
08/04/2013, 10:43 AM
+1 on the flame hawk
Love mine

They are wonderful but not shrimp safe.

unreal45
08/04/2013, 01:59 PM
I had a six line in a 30 with two clowns, it worked out well.