PDA

View Full Version : How many dwarfs to eliminate aggression

triggreef
08/02/2013, 09:33 PM
I have a heavy stocked 125 with really no aggressiveness, except I have a pygmy dwarf angel which I hate but I am stuck with. He bullys my flame who is bigger & was established first. He even bullied some larger tangs in Qt but not anymore. It's nothing crazy but enough so my flame stays only on one side of the tank.

So I was thinking about adding a third dwarf angel (potters maybe), or maybe even a majestic. Thought being maybe another angel would make him get tired of defending territory. Figures smallest fish in the tank has the biggest attitude.

humaguy
08/02/2013, 11:20 PM
can you get the p out? how about a mirror in front of the p's hangout? let him fight with his reflection for a bit...

smtank
08/03/2013, 07:10 AM
I have a heavy stocked 125 with really no aggressiveness, except I have a pygmy dwarf angel which I hate but I am stuck with. He bullys my flame who is bigger & was established first. He even bullied some larger tangs in Qt but not anymore. It's nothing crazy but enough so my flame stays only on one side of the tank.

So I was thinking about adding a third dwarf angel (potters maybe), or maybe even a majestic. Thought being maybe another angel would make him get tired of defending territory. Figures smallest fish in the tank has the biggest attitude.

This seems like a bad idea to me.

You already have an aggressive Angel and you want to throw another into the mix in hopes the current bully will change it's ways.

Instead try changing up the scape a little. Or better yet keep trying to catch the Cherub with a fish trap.

I had a Cherub bully in my tank once and he was a nightmare to catch in a small tank.

Good Luck

ca1ore
08/03/2013, 08:28 AM
Adding more fish to try to upset the packing order is a bit like the old joke about why the island is overrun with elephants. I'd suggest that one approach might be to add a new alpha, something like a large yellow tang, but that might just as easily become a bigger problem than you have now. Got to remove the offender if you can.

triggreef
08/05/2013, 07:10 PM
can you get the p out? how about a mirror in front of the p's hangout? let him fight with his reflection for a bit...

This angel is crazy. There is no preferred hang out spot for him. He is almost full speed from one side to the other constant besides feeding times. He was much more normal acting in QT. Except this.... When the pigmy angel was in QT, he messed with the much larger tangs sometimes. Acting like a tang doing the tail dance. It was wierd. And the tangs usually backed away from him. :rolleyes:

Adding more fish to try to upset the packing order is a bit like the old joke about why the island is overrun with elephants. I'd suggest that one approach might be to add a new alpha, something like a large yellow tang, but that might just as easily become a bigger problem than you have now. Got to remove the offender if you can.

Thats why it annoys me. He is literally the smallest fish in the tank. Thats why I was thinking a Majestic might work. Theres already a large yellow tang, pacific blue, atlantic blue, and a kole tang, a dogface puffer, 2 niger triggers, several wrasses and a tuskfish. Tang police, dont harass me I have a larger plan for them when the time comes, they are happy for now.

I'm not really worried about it enough to catch him out, and there's not really anywhere I'd want to put him. I'm sure I could get him but I have already trapped several of his tank mates previously and I'm sure it would be a long process and really **** off his tank mates in the mean time.

It's not a huge bullying between the pigmy and flame. But enough where the flame dives into the rocks when the pigmy comes around.

The multiples thing has worked for me in the past, ie the tangs.

ca1ore
08/05/2013, 08:19 PM
The Argi is notorious for being a little ba$tard. I have never had one, but my dwarf angel obsessed friend swears it is the only one he will never keep.

rssjsb
08/06/2013, 07:35 PM
Majestics are timid, and likely to be the target of your nasty established argi. Same with a new potters. Argis are the six lines of the angel family.

anbosu
08/07/2013, 05:42 AM
The angel probably thinks its going to be eaten with that stocking list. I'm not surprise it's being hyper aggressive to compensate.

triggreef
08/07/2013, 05:29 PM
The Argi is notorious for being a little ba$tard. I have never had one, but my dwarf angel obsessed friend swears it is the only one he will never keep.

Majestics are timid, and likely to be the target of your nasty established argi. Same with a new potters. Argis are the six lines of the angel family.

Figures. It also one of the only fish that I think looks ten times better in the photo than in person. I think hes kind of dull.

attaboy
08/07/2013, 05:37 PM
Which fish looks better in a photo?

triggreef
08/08/2013, 10:04 PM
IDK it looks more blue in the pic, mine is black. I liked the pic better. http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?did=1&pid=167&cid=9