PDA

View Full Version : Adding more Live rock to 1 year old 20g tank

zaitmi
08/03/2013, 04:16 AM
Yes i have bought some like 20 lbs live rocks which is scrubbed and washed replaced water thrice in a tub since last 2 weeks. I am not getting any smell from them also. Some of the rocks has purple and green coraline algae also.

Earlier my tank had 2 lbs of live rock. Now i want to add these rocks but i am getting some po4 in my new rocks tub like 0.3 to 0.25 from salifert test kit. Can i add them to my 20 gallon tank.

I am running with rowa phos, 1 clownfish, 1 yellow watchman goby and 2 chromis, live sand in my 20 gallon tank already from last 1 year.

shifty51008
08/03/2013, 04:24 AM
I would deal with the po4 issue in the seperate tank first even though the po4 isn't gonna harm your fish.

as long as the ammonia and nitrates are good from the new rock you can add it.

dkeller_nc
08/03/2013, 07:25 AM
I'm assuming that if this rock has coralline on it, that it was truly live rock and the "water" it was soaking in was saltwater. If so, then the phosphates really don't matter - it's not the same thing as preparing dry rock where one would be soaking it in acid and/or freshwater and testing phosphates to ensure that all dead material has been removed.

For live rock, the absolute best test is your nose. If it doesn't stink, then it's fully cured and can be safely added to an existing tank. Our noses are exceptionally sensitive to decomposition, and are a more sensitive instrument than even the best test kit for ammonia.

zaitmi
08/03/2013, 11:19 PM
How can i chk ammonia and nitrates as i replace all the water? Will it show any results within 2 to 3 days?

Guys i am confused one pf is telling to wait and the other one is telling to add live rock???

Shall i add them slowly like a couple of rocks daily or all at once?

dkeller_nc
08/04/2013, 06:33 AM
Well, again, if it's fully cured live rock, there is no reason you can't add it to your tank. If you started with dry rock, it's also probably soaked sufficiently to go into your tank.

But to give you more specific recommendations, we have to know some details:

Did you actually start with live rock? Some folks refer to all reef tank rock as "live rock", even though they are referring to dry rock.

Where did the live rock come from? A local fish store? Another hobbyist? Air-freighted from a company like Premium Aquatics? In what condition was it sold to you (i.e., "fully cured" live rock or "uncured" live rock)?

ca1ore
08/04/2013, 08:55 AM
If your 20 gal DT is fully cycled, and considering it has fish, I assume it is, and the new rock doesn't smell bad then by all means go ahead and start adding it. I would do it a bit at a time just to be safe, but no reason not to do it IME.

zaitmi
08/04/2013, 12:26 PM
Well, again, if it's fully cured live rock, there is no reason you can't add it to your tank. If you started with dry rock, it's also probably soaked sufficiently to go into your tank.

But to give you more specific recommendations, we have to know some details:

Did you actually start with live rock? Some folks refer to all reef tank rock as "live rock", even though they are referring to dry rock.

Where did the live rock come from? A local fish store? Another hobbyist? Air-freighted from a company like Premium Aquatics? In what condition was it sold to you (i.e., "fully cured" live rock or "uncured" live rock)?

thanks for your replies guys.:love1:

3 weeks ago when i bought the rock the lfs guy said it was semi cured rocks that might have a spike of ammonia in the beginning and it has come straight from his 500 gallon live rock curing tank from 4 to 5 weeks. It was moist when bought and some die offs could be i seen though i cleaned a lot of black sponge from them, now they are very clean. No they are not dry rocks.

Now what?? can i add them slowly or all at once?

dkeller_nc
08/04/2013, 01:27 PM
Smell each and every rock. If they smell "clean", then you're good to go and can add them to your tank. If some of them smell slightly putrid, put those back into your curing barrel.

zaitmi
08/05/2013, 12:35 AM
ok thanks.

zaitmi
08/08/2013, 12:41 AM
added 8 small rocks on last 2 days. 4 each day.

zaitmi
08/10/2013, 06:56 AM
added all live rocks from last 3 days everything fine. thanks a lot.

thread closed.