PDA

View Full Version : Snowflake eel?

HUNTER1
08/03/2013, 07:00 AM
I'm setting up my 40g 36x15x19 for snowflake eel maybe 8-10" by himself and no fish, but will get a bigger tank in a few months. The tank will have live rocks along with PVC tunnels. Will I get by with canister for mechanical filtration and regular water change? thanks

dkeller_nc
08/03/2013, 07:19 AM
Yes, filtration for a fish only tank can be as simple as a canister filter. But be aware that most on the forum will tell you never to acquire a fish that will rapidly outgrow your existing tank. Morays can be difficult fish to keep, and putting a juvenile in a small tank may be asking for failure - you may not be able to get it to eat if confined in too small of a tank.

For a fish of this size, you need at least a 55 gallon tank, and that's when it's 8-10 inches long.

HUNTER1
08/03/2013, 07:40 AM
I red a lot of articles on this eel and yeah bigger tank is better but they don't really roam that much, pretty much in their cave peeking out occupying even small square footage, as long as they have caves and tunnels. It will be the only one in this tank with all caves and tunnels made for him. Like I said he will be transfer in a bigger tank later. Anyway, here's the article that I found stating 40g, well at least the minimum and not just saying for juveniles. I'll probably end up getting 75g when he gets bigger.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-12/fm/index.php

cichlid nutz
08/03/2013, 08:02 AM
Preface by saying I have never kept an eel. I have always thought it would be a good idea to acclimate some FW mollies in an eel tank for a food supply. Self replicating food supply?

Any thoughts?

Cu455
08/03/2013, 09:01 AM
I had a snowflake eel in a 55 gallon and I felt it was to small. I ended up putting him in my dads tank. Here is a video I took. He goes crazy at the end because I normally feed him in his cave. This time I made him come to the top because I wanted to vshow his size.

XwYCEx-oN38

HUNTER1
08/03/2013, 09:56 AM
I had a snowflake eel in a 55 gallon and I felt it was to small. I ended up putting him in my dads tank. Here is a video I took. He goes crazy at the end because I normally feed him in his cave. This time I made him come to the top because I wanted to vshow his size.

XwYCEx-oN38
He's huge!! that size definitely needs a large tank.

AmberFL03
08/03/2013, 10:19 AM
The red sand freaked me out at first, thought it was blood :eek:

I just got a snowflake a couple weeks ago and he's in my 55 right now at 10". He's the only fish in there currently and he's got more room than he knows what to do with. I have a 125 laying around if need be but it'll be years before he could/would need a bigger tank. I have 52 lbs of live rock with tons of caves/hiding places, plus a 3 1/2' 2" wide PVC under the rock running the length of the tank if he so desires. He's a cool little dude, I'm very happy with him

kenc87
08/03/2013, 10:30 AM
I am sure this will get some disagreement, but I have seen many snowflake eels do great in a 40 breeder with one caveat. If they are fed off a stick they rarely if ever go far from their cave. If fed live food then the larger tank is clearly necessary, however my good friend has a 22" snowflake eel that has lived it's whole life in a 50 breeder and is happy as can be. Granted it is fed by a stick and hardly ever comes completely out of his cave.

unreal45
08/03/2013, 10:41 AM
Make sure you have a tight lid, they are carpet surfers.

HUNTER1
08/03/2013, 01:29 PM
I guess my plan will work. Went to home depot and 3" PVC seems like a good size tunnel plus live rocks.

slowwrx137
08/03/2013, 02:05 PM
If they are fed off a stick they rarely if ever go far from their cave. If fed live food then the larger tank is clearly necessary, however my good friend has a 22" snowflake eel that has lived it's whole life in a 50 breeder and is happy as can be. Granted it is fed by a stick and hardly ever comes completely out of his cave.

This is not always true, I have a large snowflake eel (24"+) that has always eaten frozen food from a feeding stick but still comes out and swims around the tank when the lights go out.

Twistofer
08/03/2013, 05:28 PM
The red sand freaked me out at first, thought it was blood :eek:

I just got a snowflake a couple weeks ago and he's in my 55 right now at 10". He's the only fish in there currently and he's got more room than he knows what to do with. I have a 125 laying around if need be but it'll be years before he could/would need a bigger tank. I have 52 lbs of live rock with tons of caves/hiding places, plus a 3 1/2' 2" wide PVC under the rock running the length of the tank if he so desires. He's a cool little dude, I'm very happy with him

Mine is definitely nocturnal...comes out in the late afternoon and evening. In a year and a half, it has grown a good 6 inches. I bought him at about 15-16 inches, and he's at least 22-24" now. The LFS said to limit feedings to every 7-10 days. You can feed them more often, but they do grow faster.

Regarding filtration, even though they do not require daily feedings, they do produce significant amounts of waste. I'd recommend a good skimmer.

AmberFL03
08/03/2013, 10:35 PM
Yea I'm definitely going to have to get a skimmer down te road, for sure. I currently run a HOB overflow, 30 gall sump, Sicce water pump

unreal45
08/04/2013, 01:13 AM
Eels have quite the bioload get a good skimmer.

browning_boy20
08/04/2013, 06:44 AM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2319106

No need to set up the same thread twice!!!!! Be patient and you will get the answers you need. It may not be the answers you always want but you WILL get answers. Good luck with the eel.

HUNTER1
08/04/2013, 07:21 AM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2319106

No need to set up the same thread twice!!!!! Be patient and you will get the answers you need. It may not be the answers you always want but you WILL get answers. Good luck with the eel.
Yeah I know. When I posted I couldn't find it and I thought it was never posted.

sleepydoc
08/04/2013, 08:52 AM
Yeah I know. When I posted I couldn't find it and I thought it was never posted.

Getting off topic, but you know you can use the search function to search for your posts or threads, right?

Cu455
08/04/2013, 09:40 AM
I am sure this will get some disagreement, but I have seen many snowflake eels do great in a 40 breeder with one caveat. If they are fed off a stick they rarely if ever go far from their cave. If fed live food then the larger tank is clearly necessary, however my good friend has a 22" snowflake eel that has lived it's whole life in a 50 breeder and is happy as can be. Granted it is fed by a stick and hardly ever comes completely out of his cave.

This idea does make a little sense. But if you have to feed your fish with a stick because you are concerned he will get hurt eating live food, your tank is to small.

To OP if you look at my tank you can see I kept him with clowns and firefish. Why don't you let your 40 cycle and then get some small fish. Once you get a bigger tank add a small eel to.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-12/fm/index.php

Just because one article says it can be in a 40 gallon tank says it's ok doesn't make it. Also this article is from 2002 and says the maximum size is 30 inches.if this is true my eel might be a world record. I measured him at 38 inches and he still had some body in the cave.

HUNTER1
08/04/2013, 02:30 PM
In the video, the eel may not be too large for the tank if the rockwork are properly placed, Im surprise he's not getting scraped everytime he squeezes under the rock. I certainly cannot look another day without getting him a bigger house or at least make the tank roomy for him. As I mentioned this is temporary house for him, 3 months max and will get a 75g and for himself, no fish. I know how it can be stressful for the fish with fish eating eel in the same tank. Anyway, this is the tank for baby one 8-10" and I'm taking out the big rock on the right side to make it more open. I'm not going to argue the article because I know we just want the best for our pet. I myself care too much for my pet, among other pets, had an Oscar fish that housed by himself in a 125g because I know he needs the space. Well, he didn't anyone else with him, he was spoiled. Anyway, heres the tank, no water yet.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/rockerchickjusk8/null_zps463e4dfe.jpg

Cu455
08/04/2013, 02:52 PM
As long as you are aware that it will need to go larger. Your tank looks good. If you are going to start with a small eel put some small fish in it first. This might prevent the eel from looking at fish as a food source when it gets older.

HUNTER1
08/04/2013, 03:01 PM
As long as you are aware that it will need to go larger. Your tank looks good. If you are going to start with a small eel put some small fish in it first. This might prevent the eel from looking at fish as a food source when it gets older.
Thanks. I'm not going to put any fish, just by himself. I don't want to stress myself in thinking that my fish are going to be gone. I have another tank that houses fish and corals.

Cu455
08/04/2013, 03:03 PM
I like your PVC idea. You should also add some 2 inch and 1 inch pipes. The eel might like the smaller space. Looking forward for the updates.

HUNTER1
08/04/2013, 03:09 PM
I like your PVC idea. You should also add some 2 inch and 1 inch pipes. The eel might like the smaller space. Looking forward for the updates.
I was at home depot yesterday and looking at the 3" PVC, they seem to be the right size with little sand inside. It's going to be a while before I can get one, still needs to cycle. My next tank though will have a sump, complete set up.

unreal45
08/04/2013, 07:37 PM
Where did you get that dry rock? It looks pretty good.