PDA

View Full Version : Best place to buy 125 gallon and bigger tanks?

Hokies83
08/03/2013, 08:43 PM
Got a 55 ggallon now to learn the hobby, after i gett it down i want to get a huge tank 125 ggallon to 250 gallon.

Where is the best place to get these new or used at good prices?

Also do you need to brace the floors in your house to handle all the. Weight?

Thx.

IansAquatics
08/03/2013, 09:23 PM
craigslist. i got my oceanic 125 with dual overflows and the matching stand for 450. i think the tank retails for like 2800.

HumbleFish
08/03/2013, 09:44 PM
Also do you need to brace the floors in your house to handle all the. Weight?

If you're on the 1st floor of a concrete slab, then you're fine. If it's a raised house or something, then you might wanna add some extra joists.

Hokies83
08/03/2013, 11:55 PM
If you're on the 1st floor of a concrete slab, then you're fine. If it's a raised house or something, then you might wanna add some extra joists.

Ya there is a basement under the floor im on.

My father said something about Floor jacks?

HumbleFish
08/04/2013, 09:19 AM
Ya there is a basement under the floor im on.

My father said something about Floor jacks?

I'm not that experienced when it comes to carpentry, but I would definitely have someone who is look over the situation before putting a large tank above a basement. (Sounds like maybe your father is experienced?) A 250 gal reef aquarium w/ a sump, for example, could weigh well over 3,000 lbs by the time it's all said & done!

BIGD0G
08/05/2013, 08:51 AM
+1 on craigslist for larger tanks. Be patient and you will find one.

RockyProndoa
08/05/2013, 10:35 AM
I'm not that experienced when it comes to carpentry, but I would definitely have someone who is look over the situation before putting a large tank above a basement. (Sounds like maybe your father is experienced?) A 250 gal reef aquarium w/ a sump, for example, could weigh well over 3,000 lbs by the time it's all said & done!

Agreed. However, given the large footprint of most tanks, that weight will be spread out over a significant area (250g tank is roughly 8x2 = 16sf; that is ~218lb/sf). The floor should be able to accomodate that presuming you are spanning ACROSS the floor joists at an outside wall. Anywhere else, definitely get it checked. It is much easier and simpler to check ahead of time to avert a disaster!