PDA

View Full Version : What is this bi-valve hitchhiker? What do I do with him?

chicagoreefer20
08/04/2013, 08:50 PM
Greetings - This bi-valve came as a hitchhiker on some Gulf Live Rock I received on Friday. When I got him he was firmly shut and then yesterday I saw a bit of a gap and well, tonight I returned home to see him fully open and he had "rolled" off the rock he was on.

I moved him up to a frag rack and well, what now? I hope he doesn't roll off again! Maybe I should put him somewhere safe on the substrate.

1) Keep him - if so, what can I do to help him survive? What do I need to know to have a chance?

2) Remove him pronto?

Thanks in advance!

moliken
08/05/2013, 04:47 AM
side pic abvailable? me, i'm stumped

chicagoreefer20
08/05/2013, 08:14 AM
side pic abvailable? me, i'm stumped

thanks for responding - after a few back and forth posts on another forum last night, I was pretty sure this bi-valve hitch hiker didn't make it through the cycle.

OrionN
08/05/2013, 08:20 AM
He is one of the filter feeder bivales. Most of the time they died because there is not enough food in our system for them.
Normally they are not that wide open, he may be dead. Does he close up when disturbed? If he does not get him out of there.

Anim8me2
08/05/2013, 08:21 AM
Too bad. I have a bunch. They actually slowly burrow into the rock as they grow and are great filter feeders.

chicagoreefer20
08/05/2013, 08:23 AM
Too bad. I have a bunch. They actually slowly burrow into the rock as they grow and are great filter feeders.

Anim8me2 - I have several more of them that came on the live rock, though they are smaller and fortunately all of them remain tightly shut. Fingers crossed.

On the one in the photo - I "poked" him several times, but no reaction at all, so I got rid of him. I hardly knew him, yet feel sad.

Anim8me2
08/05/2013, 08:25 AM
Get some phyto to squirt in your tank every few days and they will be happy.