PDA

View Full Version : What is it with air bubbles?

houstonhobby
08/05/2013, 06:37 PM
One thing I get from reading (I don't actually own any fish or corals yet, just some apitasia:thumbdown) is that little air bubbles in the water from the skimmer or pumps or whatever have a very bad effect on the health of marine animals.

Is that true? Anybody know why?

Thanks,
Rod

BlindZide
08/05/2013, 06:46 PM
From what I have read, no, it wont harm the fish. The best way it was described to me is waves cause bubbles in a reef and it survives, so why not in your tank? Now From what I have experienced, it does make corals retract, well at least mine do. As far as scientific data, I don't know where to point you.

houstonhobby
08/05/2013, 07:14 PM
thanks for the reply. I saw a thread somewhere where somebody said their fish had a popeye and it healed up over night when he fixed the bubbles from his skimmer. That was my source for the harming fish part. That wasn't very scientific either.

Reefmedic79
08/05/2013, 10:01 PM
It's mostly aesthetic not having micro-bubbles in the tank, and impossible to completely remove from the tank, IMO. Outside of decreasing light penetration into the tank, and prevent full polyp extension as mentioned above, I don't believe it can cause any real harm to corals or fish.

paul26
08/05/2013, 10:09 PM
The whole micro-bubble harm is bs. I used to scuba dive/snorkel in Okinawa and the reef's would be full of micro bubbles from crashing waves and it was FULL of fish.

Glaucus_atlanti
08/05/2013, 10:34 PM
everyone has differing views, myself we used to be proud of microbubbles in our tanks back in the day, the more the better.

houstonhobby
08/06/2013, 05:50 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm learning a lot.

brandon429
08/06/2013, 06:01 PM
I run my small pico reef with only two airstones covering a decades worth of sps and lps in microbubbles 24x7 no probs!

houstonhobby
08/06/2013, 06:06 PM
I have seen some tanks on YouTube with air stones and I have read that reef tanks need highly oxygenated water.

Reefmedic79
08/06/2013, 06:23 PM
I have seen some tanks on YouTube with air stones and I have read that reef tanks need highly oxygenated water.

This is true though a skimmer is usually to provide O2 in our tanks, in addition to the cascading of our overflows.

Glaucus_atlanti
08/07/2013, 07:09 AM
My expierences with stones in salt usually end up with salt crust on everything around the tank

houstonhobby
08/07/2013, 07:12 AM
Good tthought, and a good reason to avoid bubbles

Psxerholic
01/07/2014, 12:36 AM
Micro bubbles are different from normal air. Bubbles.
Micro bubbles from return plumbing going back into the tank will cause fish disease on the long run.

This is what I read in threads and Julian Sprungs lectures as well. So it is to be avoided in the display.