PDA

View Full Version : Reading pink color on RedSea Pro ALK tests

DogueDeBordeaux
08/06/2013, 01:53 PM
Here is the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnGJe4WeNxQ

Am I reading the pink color change correct?
In the video as soon as it changes from dark purple to a slight pink color that is the final reading? I can a add a few more drops, and get a very nice pink color. In the video though he stops as soon as it starts to change to a pinkish color. I am a little confused, and want to be accurate with results.
Is there a better video on the redsea pro alk test?

nlgill13
08/06/2013, 04:15 PM
That guy gets a dark red color...It should be pink, so he should have put a little more titration in.

I would suggest going until the color gets to pink not just stopping at red.

DogueDeBordeaux
08/06/2013, 05:03 PM
Some test kits read that when the color just starts to change/shift to end color that is the correct number. On the instructions card it does not say.
After the dark purple color it starts to get reddish/pink. I have dripped on to get the full pink color. I just want to make sure I am targeting the correct number.

jerpa
08/06/2013, 05:35 PM
Most titration tests mark the endpoint as when the major shift in color happens. In this case it would be from purple to red/pink. While the instructions should clarify given that the video is from Red Sea I would follow the video. Consistency is more important than the absolute value.

Twistofer
08/06/2013, 06:14 PM
Read the instructions carefully. They specifically outline what the color change should be and the persistence of that color. My Red Sea Alk test turns deep orange as an endpoint. I did see a reddish color, but it finally went to the orange that was described in the instructions and shown on the card.