PDA

View Full Version : Pop eye in a Pyramid Butterfly

hogfanreefer
08/07/2013, 10:06 PM
I have a large Pyramid in QT that I got two weeks ago. About the third day he developed a large "pop eye". I didn't treat after reading as it sounded like it usually resolves on its own. He was improving almost to the point of being back to normal. Today he looks like he did the third day.

He eats great and acts normal. His eye sight is fine in this eye and it moves ok. Is there anything I should do? Any worries?

HumbleFish
08/08/2013, 07:25 AM
Just one eye, right? I would treat w/epsom salt (1 tablespoon per 5 gals). This will help relieve the swelling. If this doesn't work, antibiotics may be next.

hogfanreefer
08/08/2013, 08:41 PM
Yep just his left eye. It doesn't look infected but I don't know what an infected eye looks like in a fish, LOL. What antibiotic and will it affect my biological filtration?

Epsom salt's effect on swelling in humans is osmotic what does it do in a marine fish?

HumbleFish
08/09/2013, 08:23 AM
Yep just his left eye. It doesn't look infected but I don't know what an infected eye looks like in a fish, LOL. What antibiotic and will it affect my biological filtration?

Erythromycin aka Maracyn won't destroy your bio filter. But full treatment levels are probably not safe with corals/inverts.

Epsom salt's effect on swelling in humans is osmotic what does it do in a marine fish?

IME, if the popeye is due to injury, then epsom salt will usually reduce the swelling. Epsom salt is just magnesium sulfate, so it's safe to use in a reef tank. If epsom doesn't help and/or the eye gets worse, then the popeye is probably due to infection/something bacterial; and that's when you bring out the big guns (antibiotics).