PDA

View Full Version : Giant Cup Mushroom ate my tang?

EDJFA
08/08/2013, 10:55 AM
I moved a couple of very small tangs into my display over the weekend. Came back from lunch on Tuesday to find the Yellow Tang stuck to the powerhead. I freed him and he swam off. Didn't seem to be a big deal.

Came in yesterday and couldn't find him. No trace at all. Checked the floor to see if he jumped. No luck.

Over the weekend I also got a giant cup mushroom from a buddy. He was shutting his tank down, it was cool, and it was just a big mushroom so I didn't think twice about putting it in my tank.

Liveaquaria says they eat fish. My buddy says that he had it for years and it never at anything. Seems that the mushroom part of the name isn't as accurate as maybe anemone would be.

Anyone else had any experience with these big shrooms? Do I need to trade it in for something with less of an appetite for sushi?

Sacohen
08/08/2013, 11:01 AM
Sounds like the Tang may have been doing poorly to begin with. A healthy fish should be able to swim away from a powerhead and not get stuck to it.

I'm guessing that the Tang was suffering from the move and it died and either your CUC ate it or it drifted into the mushroom cup and got eaten.

Sugar Magnolia
08/08/2013, 11:14 AM
Yes, they will eat fish. Especially unhealthy ones that can't get away.

ca1ore
08/08/2013, 11:30 AM
I love those giant cup 'shrooms - had a huge one for years and though he would balloon up periodically, never ate a fish. Fully agree that a fish getting stuck on a power-head suggests it was not healthy to start with. Keep in mind that a CUC will remove any evidence of a dead fish in a surprisingly short period of time. I think it FAR more likely that than any predation on the part of your 'shroom.