PDA

View Full Version : Snorkeling: What are the best places?

rayr18
08/08/2013, 01:32 PM
I am looking to go on a snorkeling ( with a little diving) vacation next spring. I wanted to hear others experiences on great snorkeling destinations or specific reefs. It can be any where in the world. Important factors are water clarity, coral reef health, and fish variety.

Thanks

Fishmommy
08/08/2013, 01:36 PM
I had a great time snorkeling in St. John with sea turtles and stuff, but the corals were in rough shape (this was a few years ago)

indyjaco
08/08/2013, 02:15 PM
Was 20 miles south of Cancun last year. Wasn't terrible from my perspective.

benjc
08/08/2013, 05:26 PM
More of a dive resort, but Bunaken Cha Cha in Indonesia was amazing. Great reefs and a protected marine reserve; my wife isn't much of a diver so she would go snorkeling while the rest of us were under.

ace_92101
08/08/2013, 06:31 PM
Gili Trawangan in Indonesia is very nice. It's a small island and the reef is right off the beach. It drops offs very quickly. There's a current that runs parallel to the beach so you can drift to the end, get out and walk back to to the top of the island and do it again. really nice.

rayr18
08/08/2013, 06:59 PM
I'v been to both Cancun and St. John..I really enjoyed both...I loved Cancun b/c of the water clarity. St john was a beautiful place but not my favorite snorkeling place.

artful13dodger
08/22/2013, 05:06 PM
Just got back from my honeymoon on St. Lucia. Stayed an Anse Chastanet. There is a protected marine reserve and large reef starting literally 15 feet from the shore, and keeps going and going. Did diving and snorkeling. Highly recommended.

Grandlotus
08/23/2013, 08:21 PM
I have also been wondering this.
Have been looking for a place in Southern Florida...

Hormigaquatica
08/24/2013, 06:23 PM
I like Playa Melones, Playa Carlos Rosario, and Culebrita on the little island of Culebra, Puerto Rico. The coral is in good shape (especially at Rosario), there are plenty of fish and turtles, and the reef is very shallow and comes right up to the shore.

goalk33p3r
08/25/2013, 09:21 AM
Grand cayman island were nice with a good amount of corals and fish, Montego Bay Jamaica was really not that great not a lot of fish nor coral Cozumel Mexico was crazy full of life with fish but coral not much key west is the third largest reef and America's only reef it's really nice Freeport Bahamas had a lot of fish and water was beautiful Nassau Bahamas was the same as Freeport Belize was beautiful as well it's the second largest reef in the world lots to see

oceandweller99
08/31/2013, 03:20 AM
If you're interested in somewhere that isn't tropical, then the Medes islands, Spain, is one of the best. We went to the Med last week and went from l'Estartit across by boat. The group hired my family wetsuits, fins, masks and snorkels and after a boat trip of only 10 mins we were in sea grass meadows with cuttlefish, sea cucumbers and octopuses, and then along the rocky, Mediterranean reefs with sea urchins, sea anemones, and too many fish to count, hundreds of species. There are also huge groupers and seahorses to see. The water was amazingly clear and the fish variety was unbelievable
This was an amazingly practical trip for me as I live in the UK, and I'm going back there next year to dive, but if you're living in the USA then maybe it's not the best trip for you. :) :)
If you did just want a diving trip then I do highly recommend the UK. I have dived in the North sea and there are some great places along the North East coast of England and South East Scotland such as Beadnell, the Farne islands, Eyemouth and St. Abbs. It is often a welcome change from the usual tropical reef diving and I did my first sea dive here earlier this year. There are also some great places in Northern Scotland such as Scapa Flow, Western Scotland like the Kyle of Lochalsh (both of which I have visited) and Cornwall offers some good coldwater reef diving. Although the water may not always be the crystal-clear blue waters of the Pacific or the Caribbean, it hosts just as much life in just as much variety. There are also lots of wrecks to explore. :)
If you are thinking of diving the Caribbean because it's closer to home, then try Central America such as Costa Rica and Belize or somewhere like Bonaire amd Curacao because often the most famous places like Jamaica and St. Lucia have reefs that have been spoiled by tourism, the same in parts of Thailand and the Great Barrier Reef.
If you have the money, then I would bag the Maldives while you can as global warming should have them underwater in ten years. A lot of the less known atolls have corals on pristine condition and this tropical paradise has clear waters and a huge quantity and variety of fish and invertabrate life. I'm hoping to go too.
And by the way, after reading this through I've realised it sounds a bit like an advertising sham but I can assure you, I'm juat a 14 year old girl who cares that you make the most of and thoroughly enjoy your holiday. Have fun :) :) :)

beckerjm
09/01/2013, 10:22 AM
Grand cayman island were nice with a good amount of corals and fish, Montego Bay Jamaica was really not that great not a lot of fish nor coral Cozumel Mexico was crazy full of life with fish but coral not much key west is the third largest reef and America's only reef it's really nice Freeport Bahamas had a lot of fish and water was beautiful Nassau Bahamas was the same as Freeport Belize was beautiful as well it's the second largest reef in the world lots to see

We are thinking of going to Belize next January. Where did you snorkel in Belize? I know its got a great barrier reef - looking for specifics on the best snorkeling spots there for viewing corals. Thanks!

GroktheCube
09/08/2013, 01:22 PM
I just got back from Ningaloo Reef in Western Australia. My family and I stayed in Coral Bay.

Absolutely beautiful. It is the largest fringing reef on the continent, with snorkling in crystal clear waters over an untouched, healthy reef right off the beach. I saw a ~3' T. gigas about 30 yards off the beach, along with 10'+ whorled growths of M. capricornis. Also swam with a large green sea turtle a hundred yards at most from the shore.

It is extremely remote and heavily protected. Most buildings had limited or no running water. There is very little boat traffic. I doubt you could find a more untouched fringing reef anywhere. Beautiful and diverse life of all sorts.

Mark SF
09/08/2013, 08:16 PM
I just got back from Ningaloo Reef in Western Australia. My family and I stayed in Coral Bay.

Absolutely beautiful. It is the largest fringing reef on the continent, with snorkling in crystal clear waters over an untouched, healthy reef right off the beach. I saw a ~3' T. gigas about 30 yards off the beach, along with 10'+ whorled growths of M. capricornis. Also swam with a large green sea turtle a hundred yards at most from the shore.

It is extremely remote and heavily protected. Most buildings had limited or no running water. There is very little boat traffic. I doubt you could find a more untouched fringing reef anywhere. Beautiful and diverse life of all sorts.

This sounds epic.

GroktheCube
09/09/2013, 01:44 PM
This sounds epic.

I'll post up some pics when I get home later today. I'm still new to underwater photography, but I got a few good ones. I have NEVER seen such huge growths of Monti cap.

IMHO its perfect for a snorkling vacation. Very friendly people, the picture of pristine, very few other people in the water, almost no boats near shore, very little current, and you can see amazing stuff just swimming 30s off shore. Hell, I saw huge shoals of quoyi parrots by just walking in up to my knees.

There are also a lot of good boat tours to areas further away from shore, including manta ray and whale shark snorkles/dives.

If you don't mind the long and expensive trip along with somewhat Spartan accommodations, its well worth doing. I think I'll be going back for a good couple weeks next September/October. They have mass blacktip reed shark spawning then that's supposed to be quite the sight. They don't want you swimming them, but they congregate by the thousands in a sheltered cove right on the beach so there's really no need.

Mike S
09/09/2013, 02:01 PM
We are thinking of going to Belize next January. Where did you snorkel in Belize? I know its got a great barrier reef - looking for specifics on the best snorkeling spots there for viewing corals. Thanks!

I spent a week on Turnefe at Blackbird Caye resort on my honeymoon 10 years ago and loved it. Great snorkelling a flats fishing right by the resort and no crowds. At the time blackbird and turnefe island lodge were the only resorts on the atoll. It was very isolates... no roads only the two resorts and a research station. We also did a day trip out to the Blue Hole and it was awesome. I think there is also a lodge called Lighthouse Reef or something like that by there. There are also several small islands further south along the coast that are just as isolated.

If you want more to do than just snorkelling and sitting on the beach, ambergeris woukd offer more to do.

Mark SF
09/10/2013, 01:44 AM
I'll post up some pics when I get home later today. I'm still new to underwater photography, but I got a few good ones. I have NEVER seen such huge growths of Monti cap.

IMHO its perfect for a snorkling vacation. Very friendly people, the picture of pristine, very few other people in the water, almost no boats near shore, very little current, and you can see amazing stuff just swimming 30s off shore. Hell, I saw huge shoals of quoyi parrots by just walking in up to my knees.

There are also a lot of good boat tours to areas further away from shore, including manta ray and whale shark snorkles/dives.

If you don't mind the long and expensive trip along with somewhat Spartan accommodations, its well worth doing. I think I'll be going back for a good couple weeks next September/October. They have mass blacktip reed shark spawning then that's supposed to be quite the sight. They don't want you swimming them, but they congregate by the thousands in a sheltered cove right on the beach so there's really no need.

Would love to see your photos. Thanks for sharing.

-Mark

Shaker nemo
09/28/2013, 02:46 AM
try piegon island- Sri Lanka. went a year ago- its spectacular. Pretty calm and clear water and you can view the whole reef without diving. There is this MASSIVE acropora garden :D Its on the East coast of SL. There are lots of reefs in Sri Lanka. Check it out!

liverock
09/28/2013, 06:45 AM

This is the most amazing healthy reef left in the Caribbean...from shore you can snorkel out to the reef, collect your lobsters and conch for dinner!

www.itzalodge.com

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com
www.itzalodge.com

Stork141
10/02/2013, 08:02 AM
The ABC islands are very nice Bonaire is the best then Curaçao, and then Aruba. Very clear. Did dives right off the beaches that were just fantastic. In Bonaire they had tank fill up stations like places have gas stations it was great. The islanders are fantastic and will give you locations for great dives if you take the time to pick their brain.

hjp109
10/03/2013, 01:33 PM
The ABC islands are very nice Bonaire is the best then Curaçao, and then Aruba. Very clear. Did dives right off the beaches that were just fantastic. In Bonaire they had tank fill up stations like places have gas stations it was great. The islanders are fantastic and will give you locations for great dives if you take the time to pick their brain.

+1 on Bonaire for snorkeling and diving.

hjp109
10/03/2013, 01:34 PM
Another great spot is right at the tip of cancun... there is a hotel there called Club Med (3 start hotel), but they have the best walk right in reefs. beautiful corals and fish just swim right around your feet as you walk in the water. take some bread for some amazing underwater pictures.

Duna_
10/06/2013, 11:42 AM
Mauritius island, Indic Ocean. More than wonderful.

We've been on honeymoon this year, and in the lagoon, in the private beach of the hotel, 99% of the reef fishes you can see in your LFS were there, one metre deep, 10-20 m from the beach. Every day.
We saw hundreds of species, just in the hotel beach, excepting clown fishes and blue tangs. Trigger fish (even picassos!), tangs, many species of butterflies, frog fishes, lion fishes, pipe fish, dwarf gobies, balloons, hundreds of damsels (which ate bread), many inverts (cucumbers, coral shrimp, etc).
In the beach sports centre (of the hotel) you could borrow free goggles and flips whenever you wanted, and snorkel in the protected area. You could also go daily on a free snorkeling trip on boat, next to the barrier. Plate acropora were more than 3 metre in diameter. There, reef life was ever more astonishing, and corals.
We spent more time under the water than sunbathing ... The water temperature was fantastic, the visibility ... and only 1-2 metre deep. You could see everything without diving.

The hotel was the Long Beach, in Belle Mare. Perfect for a honeymoon or what you like. The island is a must-see. A perfect paradise.

ace_92101
10/06/2013, 02:07 PM
Duna,

You make a good point. While the Caribbean might be close for many North American tourists, if you want to see what's in our tanks and LFS's then you one should visit the tropical Indo/Pacific.

Duna_
10/06/2013, 03:09 PM
That's it ... the fish we know, most all of them, were in those waters ... that was amazing. The fish were huge, fat ... there were little coral species in the lagoon, most of them acroporas. But was full of fish. I never thought there could be such quantity of reef fish near a hotel beach. More SPS near the reef crest.
We even saw two dolabellas as big as melons, true.

acidblondie
10/13/2013, 06:14 AM
Did a trip to Mexico this summer, Isla Mujeres down to Akumal. Nothing spectacular as far as reefs and fish, but snorkeling with the Mantas and Whale Sharks was unfreakingreal

teemee
10/14/2013, 01:04 AM
Bunaken, hands down. In Sulawesi, Indonesia.
Best reefs for Scuba diving is off the budget resort Two Fish Divers.
The water is spectacularly clear, corals are stunning, tons of fish - even a dugong if you're really lucky (I wasn't but someone else was while I was there). IMHO - if you go - I'd try diving. They also own a place in Lembeh - easiest diving in the world to see the most amazing critters anywhere.

teemee
10/14/2013, 12:44 PM
Bunaken, hands down. In Sulawesi, Indonesia.
Best reefs for Scuba diving is off the budget resort Two Fish Divers.
The water is spectacularly clear, corals are stunning, tons of fish - even a dugong if you're really lucky (I wasn't but someone else was while I was there). IMHO - if you go - I'd try diving. They also own a place in Lembeh - easiest diving in the world to see the most amazing critters anywhere.

Sorry- I meant best reefs for snorkelling. but good for diving, too :)

phhasek
10/14/2013, 02:24 PM
Sharm el sheikh in Egypt - the rea sea!