PDA

View Full Version : 100% non-rock or Sand Based Nitrogen Compound Control

reefgeezer
08/08/2013, 03:26 PM
Ok... just for discussion's sake... Is it possible to use carbon dosing and some sort of substrate (like bioballs:rolleye1:) to perform the functions associated with having rock or sand in the display tank or sump?

I ask because it seems that the rock or sand is the thing in some systems that is causing trouble i.e. leaching phosphates, trapping detritus, harboring pests, and etc.

Could a dense enough bacteria colony could be created to handle all nitrates produced without negatively affecting sensitive corals or robbing too much oxygen? Could the substrate chosen to perform the aerobic portion of the process be kept clean enough so as not to cause problems? Could zeolites of some sort be used to remove ammonia so little or no aerobic denitrification is needed?

bertoni
08/08/2013, 09:14 PM
At least one person has tried that, and it didn't work very well. It's hard to know what's going on in our tanks, so I don't know why.

Zeolites won't remove ammonia by adsorption in saltwater. They can act as a bed for bacteria, though.