PDA

View Full Version : 520g Stocking Suggestions...

Rea17
08/09/2013, 11:38 AM
Hey everyone. So we are getting pretty close to putting water in this thing, and I'm trying to refine my stocking list. I would really like if people shared actual experience, pictures, etc on this thread.

The tank is a peninsula and is 8 feet long, 4 feet wide, 32 inches high. After subtracting overflow volume and going by inside dimensions, actually volume of the display is 520 gallons. I'm going with a Pukani aquascape, mostly huge pieces. It's still pretty open and leaves tons of swimming space, but also provides caves and shelter for different fish. I'm looking at making this tank a high flow mixed reef. Flow will be provided by mp60s, and a hammerhead return. I have a couple of BIG skimmers, not sure which one/s I'm going to run on it yet. I have a sump room built that is housing a 100g custom sump, and x2 150g rubbermaid stock tanks that I plan to use for refugium space. I really love tangs, angels, anthias, and wrasses in that order. Feel free to suggest other things too! I'm always open to try new things.

I currently have a 210 mixed reef, a 150 holding tank, and a couple of 90 gallon quarantines. My livestock is currently split between these tanks for holding purposes until I get the new tank up.

Stock List, what I have....
-Achilles Tang 7-8"
-Lieutenant Tang -7-8"
-Desjardini Sailfin - 8"
-Purple Tang x2 (looking to make it a trio)
-Yellow Tang x5
-Blonde Naso male 6"
-Fowleri Tang 7"
-Kole Tang 4"
-Bicolor Foxface 7"
-Female bipartitus wrasse 3.5"
-Cleaner Wrasse 3.5"
-Quoyi Parrot 6.5"
-Lyretail Anthias 1 male, 3 females
-Black Clowns x2
-Blue Chromis x2
-Juvenile Navarchus Angel 2"

Lots of fish, I know. What I have, stays. Please help me narrow down the list of possible additions (if the new tank isn't stocked as it is:eek1:). I'm looking at a heavier stocking (obviously), and I'll note my reservations/concerns in this next list. I consider myself to be very experienced in the fish side of things, so don't be shy about hard to keep species.

What I am considering....
-Sohal Tang (don't want to disrupt my tang community, always wanted one though)
-Orange Shoulder Tang
-Chevron Tang
-Tomini Tang
-Powder Blue Tang (Achilles won't like it, and another aggressive addition I will worry about causing problems)
-Fathead Sunburst Anthias (Pair)
-Red Sea Regal Angel
-Squareback Anthias (single male? pair? group?)
-Black Tang/black hybrid/abberant scopas (if I can find one...)
-Butterfly (of sorts... group? pair? considering yellow pyramid, yellow longnose. I think the tank is going to be too active for a copperband)
-Centropyge pair (open to suggestions on species)
-Radiant wrasse

That sounds like a lot of fish when you write it out like that.... lol. I really appreciate any input that you guys have. I respect your opinions and like I said before, I love to hear experiences and see pictures!! :)

Monkeyfish
08/09/2013, 11:44 AM
I'd ditch the Sohal if yu're worried about the aggression. For the Squarebacks I'd get a trio (m/f/f). How about an emperor or Asfur angel?

Rea17
08/09/2013, 11:57 AM
I'd ditch the Sohal if yu're worried about the aggression. For the Squarebacks I'd get a trio (m/f/f). How about an emperor or Asfur angel?

Thanks. I really go back and forth on the Sohal.

As far as the angels go, I love them both. I've been drooling over the Asfur that's in DD right now, but I worry a little about my reef at that point. I'm also thinking I stand the best chance starting will juveniles, so I'll note that one down as a possibility.

I should have also mentioned that I'm looking at dispar anthias. It seems that people can keep them in larger groups? I honestly don't know much about anthias compatibility between species and how important introduction order is. I'll do more research on them.

jaa1456
08/09/2013, 12:30 PM
There's a black tang for sale near me the size of a dime, the tail and all. The white scalpel is so small you can barely see it. I would go black tang for an addition. I love mine.

ca1ore
08/09/2013, 12:46 PM
I've been drooling over the Asfur that's in DD right now, but I worry a little about my reef at that point.

I would have thought the Narvachus would be more problematic. I have kept an Asfur in a reef tank twice now, and both were generally reef safe - if you don't care about Zooanthids, that is! Side benefit is they are terrific at eating pest anemones.

humaguy
08/09/2013, 01:47 PM
Bandit...

benjc
08/09/2013, 01:56 PM
I'd say with all the tangs you are adding a bunch of smaller fish may be nice; a group of Bartlett's, some gobies, maybe a pair of hawkfish, a pair of firefish, a pair of clowns, and a pair of mandarins.

coral_lagoon
08/09/2013, 01:58 PM
Thanks. I really go back and forth on the Sohal.

Like I said on my thread. I've seen Powder Blue Tangs more aggressive than Sohals. Shoot right now my small adult Atlantic Blue tang in my 240 is real aggressive. He's a little punk,and has been chasing my Blueline Angel around. My large Fowleri Tang doesn't even mess with him..

humaguy
08/09/2013, 02:04 PM
if you go sohal just go very small....

jda
08/09/2013, 03:15 PM
The list looks great. Nice tank size. Remember that large tangs will oftentimes eat coral, in addition to getting aggressive, if not appropriately fed... and by appropriate, I mean enough food to grow. This is a lot of food. While large tangs are mostly reef safe, they are not all that reef friendly when large and eating a couple sheets of mysis a week.

When I had my large FOWLR setup, I had donated purples (2), sailfin, yellow, black (nice donation) and hippo all donated that all of a sudden devastated LSP, zoas and clams.

This is totally manageable, but I might suggest that you consider food and bio load into your plans.

Rea17
08/09/2013, 03:35 PM
The list looks great. Nice tank size. Remember that large tangs will oftentimes eat coral, in addition to getting aggressive, if not appropriately fed... and by appropriate, I mean enough food to grow. This is a lot of food. While large tangs are mostly reef safe, they are not all that reef friendly when large and eating a couple sheets of mysis a week.

When I had my large FOWLR setup, I had donated purples (2), sailfin, yellow, black (nice donation) and hippo all donated that all of a sudden devastated LSP, zoas and clams.

This is totally manageable, but I might suggest that you consider food and bio load into your plans.

Thanks for your concern. I am well aware of the feeding requirements of all of my listed species. I love my tangs, and I feed them several times per day with a variety of foods, including a ton of nori. I have never witnessed a tang attacking coral, and I really think a well fed specimen wouldn't. I feed very heavily as it is and I will continue to with more fish and a bigger tank.

As far as the black tang goes... I will take one as a donation :P they are amazing fish but I'm going to have to find one at a reduced price or wait a long time for one. Same goes with the bandit :/

Back to the Sohal discussion... Sure, I could buy a baby. It will take years but he will grow and (I'm sure) eventually dominate the tank. I worry about the welfare of his tank mates at that point, and I would rather not get a fish knowing I will have to give him up at some point. I buy fish as pets and get very attached to them, I have every intention of keeping my fish for the duration of their lives. I'm not trying to talk myself out of it, just voicing my concern. If I should save the space/$ for a black tang I am happy and willing to do that.

Any input on the dispar anthias group idea? I see a suggestion for Bartletts.

Bergvid
08/09/2013, 06:08 PM
Have you ever considered one of these beautiful specimens http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1536+2884&pcatid=2884

Might be a nice alternative if you don't wish to go down the Sohal tang path.

Rea17
08/09/2013, 07:12 PM
Have you ever considered one of these beautiful specimens http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1536+2884&pcatid=2884

Might be a nice alternative if you don't wish to go down the Sohal tang path.

Thanks, I have actually. I really like the Australian Duss, but I'm not sure how my Fowleri would feel about another similar (huge) tang.

humaguy
08/09/2013, 07:37 PM
aussie dussys are beautiful fish but see your reluctance..

beachbreak
08/10/2013, 07:17 AM
I would go with bimaculatus over pink squares on the anthias side. They are both large anthias but the bimacs are way more attractive. I've got a trio and they are just stunners http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+20+1139&pcatid=1139

+1 on the angels. I love them and so am willing to risk it in a reef. A great option would be the bali aquacultured annularis. Another option would be any of the fish from genicanthus.

Rea17
08/10/2013, 08:47 AM
Thanks Beach, I will look into those.

I really love euphyllia corals, so as long as my angels leave those alone I'm happy. In the past I've had good luck with them. When I decided to make the jump to angels a year ago I went ahead and sold off my brains, zoas, and acans. I should be *ok* on coral.

I may have located a XL Asfur locally that is semi reef safe :) love the shape and color on them, simply stunning. I had a Maculosus in the past and loved him, so I feel a little nostalgic about the Asfur.

Rea17
08/11/2013, 09:29 AM
Well it looks like I get to add that Asfur to my stock list. I won't get him until his tank gets torn down in a month or so, will post pictures when I do! His current owner says he eats zoas and nips at clams, but is fine with LPS, small inverts, and isn't testy with smaller fish.

I've pretty much scratched the Sohal Tang off the list at this point. I think I'm going to try to secure my Red Sea Regal before getting the Asfur, that way they can be introduced at the same time.

Rea17
09/15/2013, 10:48 AM
Pictures as promised... Asfur getting settled into his quarantine. I got a really nice multicolor from this tear down as well - he's very shy and I haven't been able to get a picture yet.

[http://imageshack.us/a/img23/5003/ebe7.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/23/ebe7.jpg/)

http://imageshack.us/a/img209/8189/yfr2.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/209/yfr2.jpg/)

Both fish took the move pretty well and are eating great. Looking forward to getting them into the big tank.

alex gonzales
09/15/2013, 11:00 AM
Wow! beautiful find, and crazy long streamers for a fish that size.

Rea17
09/15/2013, 11:06 AM
He's 8-10"

That's my "show size" PVC in the background :D

caribfan
09/15/2013, 12:01 PM
You might consider a couple borbonius Anthias. I have one and plan to add another. I'm definitely an Anthias novice (this is my first one), but I absolutely love mine. It almost acts like a miniature, brightly colored Large mouth bass.

Rea17
09/15/2013, 12:05 PM
You might consider a couple borbonius Anthias. I have one and plan to add another. I'm definitely an Anthias novice (this is my first one), but I absolutely love mine. It almost acts like a miniature, brightly colored Large mouth bass.

Thanks! I've considered them, but I think I want a large group of schooling anthias, maybe ignitus?

Dmorty217
09/15/2013, 12:51 PM
You could do the orange shoulder, tomini, and chevron without issues I believe. Same goes for the regal. I also love black tangs but 5-700$ is a lot for one fish IMO. I would love to see a multicolor or flame back pair. Jumping to that tank size I would be tempted to try another Quoyi to see if that pairing could work in a tank that size! Can't wait to see some pictures when you get some water in there

Rea17
09/15/2013, 01:10 PM
You could do the orange shoulder, tomini, and chevron without issues I believe. Same goes for the regal. I also love black tangs but 5-700$ is a lot for one fish IMO. I would love to see a multicolor or flame back pair. Jumping to that tank size I would be tempted to try another Quoyi to see if that pairing could work in a tank that size! Can't wait to see some pictures when you get some water in there

Thanks Dmorty, I've had water circulating since last weekend, moved my live rock and coral over this weekend. Things are getting real!! :rollface:

I am seriously considering saving up for a black tang... Believe it or not, there's a bandit angel on craigslist around this area. The owner said that he wants to rehome it because it's too picky of an eater though, I guess the angel spent the past 4 months decimating the sponge on his LR and is starting to get a pinched tummy now =/ From what I understand from talking to the guy, he hasn't tried that hard to get the fish eating, and it's in the DT with competitive tank mates. I think I could work some magic with the fish, but I'm just not comfortable spending a ton of money on something that hasn't eaten anything substantial for such a long time. What do you guys think?

Dmorty217
09/15/2013, 02:56 PM
Depends on the rehoming fee on the Bandit, I love the bandits but again the usual 7-800$ price usually associated with them. I feel very comfortable taking fish that look not great and turning their health around because they werent properly cared for in the first place. All of your fish are healthy and fat from the pics I have seen so I would put him in a tank with someone who will "teach" the Bandit to eat, Depending on the "rehoming fee". I would just tell the guy look here is 100$ let me try to save him, otherwise the fish dies and u get anything but a **** poor saltwater fish owner award :debi:

Rea17
09/15/2013, 03:10 PM
My thoughts exactly. I would absolutely love to own a bandit, but a large rehoming fee for any fish that has been slowly starving due to lack of attention really rubs me the wrong way.

Gogandantess
09/15/2013, 10:31 PM
Any pics of your monster tank? Will there be a build thread? Love the tank dimensions.

Rea17
09/16/2013, 02:49 PM
Here's a picture from right after I filled it

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/299/agzy.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/agzy.jpg/)

My iPhone really picks up the lighting weird, and in real life it doesn't look so spot-lit. I've since added coral and my other live rock to that, and I'm seeing my first diatoms :( Phosphate levels are unreadable, which is great considering the pukani. I put a lot of work into prepping it before I started the tank.

Monkeyfish
09/17/2013, 08:14 AM
Looking good. Can't wait to see pics of it stocked.

Stomatopod1701
09/17/2013, 11:17 AM
I would go with more of the lyretail anthias, maybe one male and nine females, they would look and behave more naturally.

Eville
09/17/2013, 01:11 PM
What about a trio of Bellus or Lamarks? As stated in your own suggestions, a couple pyramid butterflies would look awesome as well.

Rea17
09/17/2013, 02:59 PM
I'm still considering the pyramids, I really like the look of them. Been waiting to pull the trigger on anything until I come up with a more complete stock list, want to make sure everything is going to be compatible.

I'm seriously considering an idol at this point too...

fishncwill
09/17/2013, 03:26 PM
I'll love the idols one of the coolest fish I think

Dmorty217
09/20/2013, 06:39 PM
Here is a pic of my orange shoulder for you Ami! Sorry for the tank being dirty, Saturdays are maintainance days! Also sucky iPhone picture!

Dmorty217
09/20/2013, 06:44 PM
For size reference the strainer on the closed loop intake is on a 2" bulkhead so basically the same size of the spectrum pellet container

Rea17
09/20/2013, 06:47 PM
He's lovely! Super jealous :)

jjk_reef00
09/21/2013, 10:38 AM
Looking good Rea, what kind of rock are you using?

Rea17
09/21/2013, 10:39 AM
It's pukani from BRS, very large pieces

SDguy
09/21/2013, 10:42 AM
One thing I'd recommend with that rock (I have some). Every so often, before a water change, get in there with a MJ1200 and blast water into the holes and crevices. You'll be amazed at not only how much crud blows out of the rock, but from how far away from the hole your blowing into it ejects :lol:

Rea17
09/21/2013, 10:50 AM
One thing I'd recommend with that rock (I have some). Every so often, before a water change, get in there with a MJ1200 and blast water into the holes and crevices. You'll be amazed at not only how much crud blows out of the rock, but from how far away from the hole your blowing into it ejects :lol:

Haha, will do. Thanks! It's amazing how much depth there is to these rocks...

MikeandNicole
09/21/2013, 06:45 PM
First, gorgeous new tank!

Regarding stocking, I think you have some really good thoughts. We just brought home a scopas-black tang hybrid today for our 205g display. If you can find one, I think they are really neat.

We have a sunburst anthia in our DT that I love, we have had him for 2 years now. We also have a pair of borbonious anthias which we brought home this summer. They get to a nice size IMO. We also have a flame-rusty hybrid angel (false shepherdi) who for 2+ years has been reef safe. If you like the look of the false shephardi's I would recommend them to you- both of the two I have had have been very well behaved and left coral alone.

Rea17
09/22/2013, 01:40 PM
Thank you! Any chance you can share a picture of your new hybrid? I really love the blue tint that adults have. I've been considering the borbonious, but if I get some I think they will come later. I will get a more current stock list up tonight.

Rea17
09/24/2013, 11:48 AM
Ok - here are the latest stocking ideas. I know it's a lot, bear with me.

Currently in my display, quarantine, and holding tanks
5x Yellow Tang
3x Purple Tang
1x Desjardini Tang
1x Powder Blue Tang
1x Sohal Tang
1x Achilles Tang
1x Blonde Naso (male)
1x Lieutenant Tang
1x Kole Tang
1x Bicolor Foxface
1x Fowleri Tang
1x Quoyi Parrotfish
1x Navarchus Angel
1x Multicolor Angel
1x Asfur Angel
4x Lyretail Anthias (1 male, 3 female)
2x Black Clownfish
1x Cleaner Wrasse
1x Blue Star Leopard Wrasse
1x Starry Blenny

I know originally I said everyone that is current stays, but now I'm thinking of downsizing on the yellow tangs and maybe something else. I want room for small fish to fill those gaps. A few of the yellows will live in my 210 which is going to become my refugium in my sump room after everything is said and done. I also had decided against the Sohal, but one came up as part of a bulk buy so I took the chance. He has a wonderful temperament so far - and this isn't going to be my last upgrade.

Things I'm seriously considering
1x Radiant Wrasse
1x Moorish Idol
1x Black Tang/Black hybrid/or aberrant Scopas
1x Red Sea Regal Angel
2x Potter's Angel
2x Flame Angel
1x Venustus Angel
1x Flame Fairy Wrasse (male)
7x Ignitus Anthias
3x Bimaculatus or Squareback Anthias
1x Powder Blue Hybrid Tang

These are not all things I plan to add right away! Many of the dwarf angels will likely come later on after the rock is established (6+ months). I would like to give the Regal a head start on the Asfur though. Here's a picture I got of the multicolor, this is the most I ever see of him. He's very shy and mysterious, I've seen better pictures of Bigfoot! :)

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/3999/78n4.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/823/78n4.jpg/)

I'm also still at a loss on what butterflies would fit well in this tank :(

Dmorty217
09/24/2013, 03:27 PM
My vote is for the Radiant,MI,black tang, regal, flames and potters, also love the AT hybrids. I'm not a fan of anthias much. Look forward to seeing all of these beauty's together in your tank!

Rea17
09/24/2013, 05:49 PM
Thanks Dmorty, I was mainly looking at anthias as a bright, smaller fish that would hang together out in the open.

I spent the better part of the weekend making some homemade fish food. Happy to report that my fish liked it! I used PE mysis, hikari mysis, hikari ocean plankton, krill, TLF seaweed flakes, cyclopeeze, clam, scallop, zoe, and selcon. The frozen foods were all rinsed thoroughly prior to mixing up (which had to be done in a 5g bucket). I portioned it using standard ice cube trays - loading each one, freezing, then unloading a 2 week supply into ziploc freezer bags. A picture of some trays ready for the freezer, and a close up just for fun.

http://imageshack.us/a/img59/8121/6rwz.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/59/6rwz.jpg/)

http://imageshack.us/a/img209/405/f3sr.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/209/f3sr.jpg/)

mike623
09/24/2013, 10:20 PM
That's going to be a sweet tank. Food looks tasty :-)

Dmorty217
09/25/2013, 11:54 AM
Man that food looks good! I bet you are still trying to wash that smell off your hands!

Dmorty217
09/25/2013, 01:37 PM
Ami what about a Maculiceps tang? There is one on DD today

Rea17
09/25/2013, 01:41 PM
Ami what about a Maculiceps tang? There is one on DD today

They can be quite pretty, but I think I only have room for one of the Acanthurus giants in this tank. Maybe when I upgrade :)

Notjohnwayne
10/03/2013, 08:31 PM
I really like my goldrim tang. other thoughts on stocking;

Bellus angels - large angelfish that are reef safe?
Flame angel- a very cool color but less necessary if you get the regal (both orange)
Cortez angelfish- different shape/coloring
Chocolate/mimic yellow tang- I had one for a little while, beautiful

I see you have steered away from group and snappers?

Rea17
10/03/2013, 09:01 PM
I really like my goldrim tang. other thoughts on stocking;

Bellus angels - large angelfish that are reef safe?
Flame angel- a very cool color but less necessary if you get the regal (both orange)
Cortez angelfish- different shape/coloring
Chocolate/mimic yellow tang- I had one for a little while, beautiful

I see you have steered away from group and snappers?

Hehe, I have a reef! :P I had a chocolate and gave him to a friend, won't be replacing him. I am really getting into dwarf angels - I want a few pairs and a harem if possible.

Eville
10/03/2013, 10:08 PM
Awesome fish list so far! Go for a Bandit angel instead of the Black Tang ;)

Rea17
10/04/2013, 08:34 AM
In all honesty I'm tempted by bandit angels, but I think that price tag is going to have to wait until I recover from the build itself!

jda
10/04/2013, 08:39 AM
I had a pair of bandits. It took them about 6 months to get out of isolation (together) where they only liked to eat pods and mysid shrimp that I had growing in the cheato and rocks. They eventually started to eat other foods, but this was short lived as they liked to eat the polyps off my my SPS and flesh off of my LPS once in my display. We all know that they are hit or miss, but mine were a miss. They went on to a softie tank where I think that they did OK.

Yes, bellus angels are truly reef safe. All of the genicanthus are reef safe, pair/trio up and don't really get all that big:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-02/hcs3/

Rea17
10/04/2013, 09:07 AM
I had a pair of bandits. It took them about 6 months to get out of isolation (together) where they only liked to eat pods and mysid shrimp that I had growing in the cheato and rocks. They eventually started to eat other foods, but this was short lived as they liked to eat the polyps off my my SPS and flesh off of my LPS once in my display. We all know that they are hit or miss, but mine were a miss. They went on to a softie tank where I think that they did OK.

Yes, bellus angels are truly reef safe. All of the genicanthus are reef safe, pair/trio up and don't really get all that big:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-02/hcs3/

Thank you very much for the article! If I went with a pair from that genus, it would probably be the Wantanabe or Swallowtail... the Bellus just don't "speak" to me if you know what I mean. That said, I'm already taking coral risks with a couple of Pomacanthus angels (Asfur, Majestic) and I'm centering my coral choices around them, staying away from any of the obvious no-nos like zoas and open brains.

I actually sold my desjardini last week to somebody local with a 1000g system so that I could clear up room for smaller fish and angels. I can honestly say I never realized how much that fish ate.. until now!

jda
10/04/2013, 09:56 AM
Female bellus are pretty awesome - the males are not. Watanabei are amazing all the way around. I had a pair and the males get quite impressive with the streamers. Of the different kinds of swallowtails, the caudos are my favorite, but harder to find. They are super hardy once acclimated. They can have swim bladder issues if they are collected poorly, but you should know that within a day or two of getting them - this is where a 14 day guarantee comes in handy.

las
11/15/2013, 10:46 PM
If you are looking for an orange Red Sea regal like the one I just got, pm me and I fill u in on how I found mine.