PDA

View Full Version : Final word on Zoa-eating pods?

KusabiKuri
08/09/2013, 12:54 PM
I've done a lot of reading on this and it seems like there's no definitive answer as to whether or not there are pods that either eat zoas or irritate them to the point of decline.

My story is that I got a plug with a couple different zoa frags on it from a small store. I got it back home and found there was a nudibranch on it that was slowly eating away at the frag. I promptly removed it but the zoa decline was still progressing at an alarming rate so I started to watch it using my phone light after my tank lights went out. I noticed a lot of pod activity at the base of the zoas and thought they were maybe irritating them while they were still recovering from the nudi so I moved them off a rock in the sandbed and onto a frag rack higher up in the tank.

They spent a week or so literally inches away from the rock they were on and they started to open up again. At this point I could only save the green ones and the orange-looking zoas were completely gone. After a week or so I moved them even higher in the tank and on the back wall close to my powerhead where they continued to recover and sprout new heads (I had two tiny frags with some heads on each.

So 2-3 weeks later they look pretty good and my thinking is that they've recovered enough (sprouting new heads pretty often now) to be put back on the sandbed. I took one of the small frags and glued it back to the rock they were originally on and all looked okay during the day. Now, a few days later they look exactly like they did when they were in decline. Melting and closed up. However, the ones I left on the frag rack look healthy as ever.

My water parameters are all fine. In terms of other corals, I have a huge frogspawn (probably almost 10" across when open) that has heads splitting weekly, candy cane coral that's also always splitting, a few pieces of SPS one of which is growing pretty quickly, a rock full of daisy polyps, a small green mushroom, a bleached devil's hand I bought cheap that's recovering well, two ricordias, some kenya trees, and a chunk of GSP. All of it is doing better than fine including the zoas as long as I keep them out of reach from anything in the rockwork. I also have two small clownfish, a small RBTA that is over twice as big as when I got it a few months ago, and a purple-spotted mantis shrimp that spends its time smashing rock on the other side of the tank.

The tank itself is a 10g acrylic with a ~7g custom sump that houses chaeto and a DIY airstone skimmer. I have a ReefBreeders Value fixture (only running at about 40%) hanging maybe 8 inches from the top of the tank that's completely covered to curb evaporation. I do about 20% water changes weekly after checking parameters, check salinity daily, and feed sparingly. By the end of the year I'll be upgrading to a 40b with a 20L sump but if I'm going to be moving my livestock over I want to believe that I can raise zoas on anything other than a frag plug attached to the glass.

Would just adding a sixline to my upgraded system help fix the issue? I know this is kind of a loaded question because of how dynamic this hobby is, but I guess I'm just looking for some peace of mind regarding this almost mythical zoa-eating pod thing.

shrimpgal
08/09/2013, 04:17 PM
I just noticed that my fairy dust zoes are being eaten by the ampipods in my 40b
I saw them on one of the newer polyps and the next am it was gone DANG BUGS
I have moved them to a tall wine glass to see if the ampipods can find them there.:furious:

terrypercula
08/09/2013, 05:22 PM
Are you sure they're amphipods and not something else?

shrimpgal
08/09/2013, 05:33 PM
I just noticed that my fairy dust zoes are being eaten by the ampipods in my 40b
I saw them on one of the newer polyps and the next am it was gone DANG BUGS
I have moved them to a tall wine glass to see if the ampipods can find them there.:furious:

shrimpgal
08/09/2013, 05:35 PM
Sorry double posted
They are ampipods I saw them no mistake
Right now the zoes are being guarded by a brittle star YEAH
Guess hes waiting for the ampipods HAHA

KusabiKuri
08/09/2013, 05:42 PM
Are you sure they're amphipods and not something else?

In my case I can't see it being anything else other than some kind of pod. I've seen them crawl all over the zoas at night. Pretty certain I don't have any spiders as I've never seen anything that even remotely look like one in my tank and besides the one nudi that I removed, I haven't seen anything that looks like one in my tank and given that the zoas were flourishing while on my makeshift frag rack, I've pretty much ruled that out because if there were nudis still alive, they would have easily been able to reach the frag.

Every thread I've read on every forum I've seen where someone posts up about this problem, there are skeptical people and there are people who do believe the pods are to blame.

If it's not pods and I've pretty much ruled out the two biggest zoa eaters, what can it be?

terrypercula
08/09/2013, 06:08 PM
I have tons of amphipods and copepods in my tank. I'm not saying it's impossible I'm just saying I'm surprised. Could it possibly be isopods and not amphipods?

A. Grandis
08/09/2013, 07:20 PM
Yes, there are amphipods, copepods and isopods.
By "pods" people call normally amphipods or copepods.
In this case ("zoa eating pods") should be referring to amphipods.

There are many types of amphipods and some of them do eat polyps!!! They're normally light colored (beige to brown) and big, comparing to the other ones that don't feed on zoanthids. There are other types of amphipods that will eat the zoas only when they're hurt!! Yep, they take advantage and scavenger the colonies!!

Aside the amphipod deal, you should make sure your system's water quality and light are good for the zoas. I would suggest to take some tests and actually measure alk, Mg, pH, and even Ca and temperature.

How far your frog spawn is from the place you're putting the zoas?
Frog spawn corals have what we call sweeper tentacles and they will hurt the zoas big time. Take a look at night and try to see if the sweeper tentacles are reaching the polyps.
I think that's what's going on there...

I would think six line would eat amphipods, yes.

Grandis.

KusabiKuri
08/09/2013, 09:17 PM
Yes, there are amphipods, copepods and isopods.
By "pods" people call normally amphipods or copepods.
In this case ("zoa eating pods") should be referring to amphipods.

There are many types of amphipods and some of them do eat polyps!!! They're normally light colored (beige to brown) and big, comparing to the other ones that don't feed on zoanthids. There are other types of amphipods that will eat the zoas only when they're hurt!! Yep, they take advantage and scavenger the colonies!!

Aside the amphipod deal, you should make sure your system's water quality and light are good for the zoas. I would suggest to take some tests and actually measure alk, Mg, pH, and even Ca and temperature.

How far your frog spawn is from the place you're putting the zoas?
Frog spawn corals have what we call sweeper tentacles and they will hurt the zoas big time. Take a look at night and try to see if the sweeper tentacles are reaching the polyps.
I think that's what's going on there...

I would think six line would eat amphipods, yes.

Grandis.

I measure alk ph and ca and all seem within regular ranges with temperature never going above 79 and never falling below 77.7. Lighting is not an issue (3w LED fixture, total of 120w dimmed to 40% over a 10g tank should be more than enough as evidenced by my SPS growth). As I've stated before, the zoas can be inches away from where they were on the rock and thrive. It's just once they're accessible by the pods is when they start declining. The frogspawn is a non-issue. It's on the complete opposite side of the tank and while the tank isn't big, the sweeper tentacles would have to navigate past some kenya trees, my RBTA, a colony of daisy polyps, and a couple ricordias before they're even remotely close to the zoas. These are all doing fine too.

reefwars
08/09/2013, 10:23 PM
There are amphipods that will most def much on zoanthids , they provide excellent cover for good and pods are built to search, another good reason why closed systems need guard dogs :) mandarins, wrasses ,butterflys, hogfish etc. Have much morr to offer than beauty and personality:)

Reef Raf
08/10/2013, 08:41 PM
I have found Astrea (sp?) eating my Z and P....like right in the act. I pluck one off and see little marks that look like stings or bites. I added a Harlequin Shrimp and that seems to take care of it. I give him a little Chocolate Chip Star from time to time to make sure he is well fed. But I see him chasing down the little stars too. Pretty cool.