PDA

View Full Version : In-wall tanks in the garage - dealing with heat

LobsterOfJustice
08/09/2013, 01:58 PM
Hey all,

Those of you with in-wall tanks in the garage... how do you do it?

I started a similar thread a while ago about climate controlling and/or ventilating the garage, but I'd like to get a wider range of opinions.

I've been planning on putting an in-wall tank in my garage since buying my house in the beginning of the year. It's a one car garage, so not very big. There's definitely not room to wall off a separate room if I ever want to put a car in there again. The air temperature is getting 90+ in there. I was going to install a ventilation fan, but now I'm wondering if that will even be enough. Is there any way to do this without completely climate controlling the garage? I'm thinking it's crazy to have a tank in a room that's 90+ degrees, I'm going to be fighting temperature constantly, right? Right now I have a 90g inside with a 30g sump in the garage and I'm already fighting to keep that under control with a 1/4 hp chiller. I'm thinking there's no way I'll be able to do it when the whole tank is actually in the garage.

anbosu
08/09/2013, 02:09 PM
Are you planning on using the garage for anything other than tank and storage?

LobsterOfJustice
08/09/2013, 02:18 PM
I'd like to be able to still get the car in it, but....

dave.m
08/09/2013, 02:19 PM
No, there is no way of doing what you are proposing without complete climate control unless you are going to be there all day and can run back and forth to the freezer, manually replacing evaporation with pre-frozen chunks of RO/DI water into the sump.

Dave.M

canyousee
08/09/2013, 02:53 PM
I read a thread awhile ago on here who did what you're talking about. He built a room/box around the tank and sump.He then ran a window air conditioner in the room/box.He lived in Arizona and he says the tank stayed at 79 just fine.Good luck,for what its worth if you go ahead I'd park the car out side.

RJT
08/09/2013, 04:33 PM
I imagine the carbon monoxide from the car would really cause problems.