PDA

View Full Version : Diamond goby question

QPWithCheeseQP
08/10/2013, 12:40 PM
Ok so I have a sandbed that is looking a little..meh... anyway so I was thinking about getting a diamond goby to sift the sand and make it pearly white again. After doing some research though it seems they can/will deplete a sandbed of the little critters that actually clean the sand. So I was thinking that adding things like ceriths or nassarius could help supplement the detrivours that are going to be eaten by the goby. Think that would work to keep the sand bed looking good and still be an active part of filtration and cleaning?

rjallen
08/10/2013, 05:28 PM
I have a Diamond Goby and love watching him. You must have patience as he will re-landscape your gravel to his needs. Each week he will construct another new home for himself. The little guys will give you hours of antics. Just make sure some of your food finds its way onto the sand as you will need to supplement his diet.

As to you primary question. How old is your tank- how mature is the sand bed? The sand shifting gobies will clean up the first 1/2 inch or so and will give you the desired clean sand look you want. If your substrata is not mature, a goby will retard the development of some critters. That said, and I probably got mine a little early, my sand bed has serpent stars, worms and other critters. My sand bed is 2-4 inches in depth and also supports a small population of nassarius snails as well. I bought the goby 10 months ago and he has tripled in size. If you go the goby route, be sure to cover your tank as they are jumpers, especially when first placed in the tank.

Good luck
RJ

ilikefish34
08/10/2013, 06:06 PM
Quarantine!!! These fish, IMO and experience, make great additions to the aquarium. It looks like RJ gave you some good information to go by and I would just like to add to their feedings that they receive hardy foods like pellets, mysis and bloodworms rather then brine or flake. Also, please take his advice and make sure that the top is 100% covered. What size tank do you have? Mine keeps a 180 nice and white all by itself. These fish are very prone to internal parasites which can be taken care of with some prazipro before it ever makes it to your DT.

Good luck,
Mike

FallenMonkey
08/11/2013, 04:37 AM
You'll need a large tank to keep him happy. They're pretty much sifting 24/7.

downbeach
08/11/2013, 04:59 AM
These are very interesting fish, and can be very entertaining, but IF you have a DSB, and want to keep it "alive", you would be better served to look for different alternative to keeping your sand bed looking clean. If you haven't already done so, I'd consider using this (http://www.ipsf.com/livesand.html) and this (http://www.ipsf.com/reefworms.html). You might also consider using a Conch, some Cerith and Nassarius Vibrex snails.

Here's a good article about these fish:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-09/hcs3/index.php

degibson84
08/11/2013, 05:14 AM
make sure your top is a tight fitting lid with no openings anywhere. they will find there way out

Pallobi
08/11/2013, 07:02 AM
You'll need a large tank to keep him happy. They're pretty much sifting 24/7.

Not true...

vette.tech
08/11/2013, 09:24 AM
Saying not true and giving no explanation why you think so doesnt help anyone