PDA

View Full Version : Help getting salinity right with water change

Crackem
08/10/2013, 04:32 PM
I use two 32 gallon brute cans to do my water change. I usually measure about 11 cups of salt to get 35ppt. This time I was lazy and didn't exactly measure correctly cause I just filled my container with salt to where I thought it usually is without marking it.

So I tested the tank and its at 34ppt and my new water is at 38ppt.
I already added a gallon or 2 of RO water of course I didn't measur exact again.
I'm letting it circulate with a heater and my pump and will test again to see if it went down.

Is it safe to add new water with a higher salinity in the 38ppt range?
I would like to raise salinity from 34 to 35.
I'm changing about 25 gallons in my 72 bowfront with a total volume of about 60 gallons. It's been almost 4 weeks since last change.
Also temp of display is 78.5 and brute is 79.7 if that matters.

Please advise

Thank You

bertoni
08/10/2013, 06:44 PM
Some 10% water changes with the higher-salinity saltwater should be fine. I would avoid larger changes, though. To raise the salinity, you can just top off with saltwater for a while. That's a very gentle way to do the change.

Reef Frog
08/10/2013, 07:08 PM
I like slower water changes too. There are emergencies however where bigger changes are called for. The conventional wisdom is don't exceed raising salinity more than 1.001 per day on the SG scale. That always sounded reasonable to me. Avoiding drastic changes in pH should be avoided too if you are forced into doing a large water change.

Crackem
08/11/2013, 01:09 AM
Thx for the info. I was able to lower it to 36ppt by adding some RO water. I'm going to try and do some smaller water changes every 2 weeks from now on.

bertoni
08/11/2013, 02:10 PM
That sounds like a good plan to me. :)