PDA

View Full Version : Free from Ich in 5-8 days using hypo

JoshuaG
08/11/2013, 10:47 AM
Curious why the hypo treatment is recommended for weeks when it can eradicate the infection within 5-8 days? This study showed a salinity of 10% will kill tomonts within 3 hours.

http://www.int-res.com/articles/dao/1/d001p019.pdf

In the beakers in which salinity was reduced for 3h to 10% 4 times at 3d intervals, tomonts were destroyed after each treatment and the fish were free from infection in 5 to 8d. Similar results were obtained when this procedure was applied to the 4500 and the 14000l tanks.

Total eradication of Cryptocaryon initans was also achieved within 10d by switching fish between 2 tanks. Four switches at 3d intervals were needed, the tanks being dried and cleaned between uses.

mbingha
08/11/2013, 10:49 AM
One reason being the display tank needs to be fallow for 10-12 weeks. The fish may no longer have ich, but it can persist in the display tank in various stages of its life cycle for several weeks.

Mrscribbled
08/11/2013, 12:35 PM
Treatments only kill the free swimming stage.

spieszak
08/11/2013, 12:50 PM
tomonts, yes.
Your quote also notes that the combination of hypo and tank transfer eradicate ick, rather than just kill the tomonts, which is what we are shooting for. not just death, but total annihilation. :)

JoshuaG
08/11/2013, 12:53 PM
Treatments only kill the free swimming stage.

According to the study I posted the 10% will kill the tomont stage.

JoshuaG
08/11/2013, 01:01 PM
tomonts, yes.
Your quote also notes that the combination of hypo and tank transfer eradicate ick, rather than just kill the tomonts, which is what we are shooting for. not just death, but total annihilation. :)

You don't need to do both tho, either one will completely get rid of ich according to this study. This seems MUCH easier then a month long hypo or even the TT method.

spieszak
08/11/2013, 01:15 PM
You don't need to do both tho, either one will completely get rid of ich according to this study. This seems MUCH easier then a month long hypo or even the TT method.
I'm not saying it won't work, and they may totally correct... I just haven't seen that many fish have issues in hypo, and the extended period doesn't seem to hurt either. The "time proven known methods" generally just 'feel' safer to me. So if your intent is to discuss the study, I don't intend to in anyway note that its not possible, or that they aren't correct. I'm only noting my opinion here on the idea that there is a bigger safety factor and a little more margin for error in the known methods; which is why I believe the recommendations are for longer periods, in addition to the life cycle being unknown at the time of treatment.

MrTuskfish
08/11/2013, 01:20 PM
According to the study I posted the 10% will kill the tomont stage.

My pure opinion, not based much except gut feeling. I don't like hypo, never have. There is too much room for error. The study you posted is 28 years old. This, in itself, doesn't mean it isn't valid. It well could be. However, new info on ich is appearing all of the time. The longer periods required for fallow tanks and the SG for killing ich with hypo has changed several times during my time in the hobby. I think its very possible that some strains of ich have been "in captivity" for generations and may have developed tolerance for common treatments. If so, strains of ich could have tomonts that could last longer than the norm in this older study. IMO, there is no reason not to think that ich could adapt to treatments after 28 years; of course, this would apply only to ich that had been around in the hobby for a long time and I think there probably are such strains, given the number and contagious nature of the parasite.

FWIW I know a Parasitologist (definition: "One who studies ex-relatives of Mr. Tuskfish") at a SW aquaculture lab who is constantly trying to find emerging evidence of ich resisting copper, so far nothing. He plans to do the same with one of the quinine drugs. Sooner or later, his results will be published, even if he finds nothing new.

JoshuaG
08/11/2013, 01:24 PM
My pure opinion, not based much except gut feeling. I don't like hypo, never have. There is too much room for error. The study you posted is 28 years old. This, in itself, doesn't mean it isn't valid. It well could be. However, new info on ich is appearing all of the time. The longer periods required for fallow tanks and the SG for killing ich with hypo has changed several times during my time in the hobby. I think its very possible that some strains of ich have been "in captivity" for generations and may have developed tolerance for common treatments. If so, strains of ich could have tomonts that could last longer than the norm in this older study. IMO, there is no reason not to think that ich could adapt to treatments after 28 years; of course, this would apply only to ich that had been around in the hobby for a long time and I think there probably are such strains, given the number and contagious nature of the parasite.

FWIW I know a Parasitologist (definition: "One who studies ex-relatives of Mr. Tuskfish") at a SW aquaculture lab who is constantly trying to find emerging evidence of ich resisting copper, so far nothing. He plans to do the same with one of the quinine drugs. Sooner or later, his results will be published, even if he finds nothing new.

Was hoping you would respond, thanks for the post:)

mikecc67548
08/11/2013, 02:03 PM
total annihilation. :)

Genocide.