PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a couple new fish for the tank

Snausy
08/11/2013, 01:43 PM
Hi everyone, I finally finished the tank and stand/canopy and now I'm focusing on what's inside my 300 FOWLR.

Currently I have:

Emperor Angel
Lemon-Peel Angel
Niger Trigger
Dogface Puffer
Cortez Rainbow Wrasse(Thalassoma lucasanum)
Green Bird Wrasse
Flame Hawkfish
Matted Filefish(got him for aip problem and he's worked out nicely)

The Green Bird Wrasse is the only one I don't love and will probably switch him out with something.

There is a nice BlueFace Angel at the LFS on sale today for 150.00 but when I searched some sites they say "Should be only angel in tank as they get territorial when biggest angel". Well my Emperor is way bigger but I wonder if it'd be a problem eventually.

Please help me find another fish or two that would be great tankmates. Everyone seems to get along pretty well.

What would you do? Informed experienced input is preferred of course. :wavehand:

Thanks. Here is a picture to give you an idea of how much LR and territory there is:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/Snausages/20130729_144146_zps0d046616.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Snausages/media/20130729_144146_zps0d046616.jpg.html)

Mrscribbled
08/11/2013, 02:31 PM
I'd add the blueface along with another angle. Multiples are easier to keep together than just two IME.

hossa81
08/11/2013, 02:56 PM
I haven't kept large angels, but i have heard stories of two fighting til one dies, just read the one sticky.

Gogandantess
08/11/2013, 05:28 PM
A Large Blonde Naso Male is always a great tankmate.

SUPERSTOCKRACER
08/11/2013, 05:53 PM
Australian harlequin tusk large. get the bluefaced angel too.

CenterConsole
08/11/2013, 07:00 PM
How about a tang? Surprised you don't have one. As far as large angels go, I've mixed quite a few over the wars successfully and others not so successfully. You never know until you try it, every fish is different, just he sure to have a back up plan immediately in case it doesn't work out. I've had 2 different large angels be fine before, and 3 not fine, it really comes down to the fish, and order of introduction helps, but over time if it's not going to work out, it won't matter! Good luck with whatever fish you decide! Nice tank/stand/canopy!

humaguy
08/11/2013, 07:33 PM
Bandit...the emp should tolerate...

gsiegel
08/12/2013, 02:35 PM
+1 on the tang and tusk. IMO nothing beats the colors of an Aussie HT

I also concur with the Blond Naso. Purple tangs are also beautiful fish.

A femal bellus angel is also nice.

A dwarf angel - venustus?

Snausy
08/12/2013, 04:43 PM
Ok just read that sticky, not thinking another large angel anymore.

I have had a few very nice Aussie Harlequin Tusks. HT's and puffers are the reason why I switched from Africans to saltwater all those years ago. My first tank was a 100 with a S&S puffer(orphan at the LFS), Niger trigger and Harlequin tusk.

We just lost our last HT about five months ago, not sure what happened but it really sucked. He was 7" and very beautiful. Problem is the HT is kind of a wuss despite those big blue teeth. My first couple got hounded by my niger(after he matured) so badly they had to be removed before getting sick.

I also have tried two different blonde nasos and they both died on me within a couple weeks. Not hearty by any stretch of the imagination.

I just got back from the LFS and he has a nice male Bellus in back for 220.00. I was like OUCH and knew nothing about them so we moved on. Very cool looking though.

What I'm starting to zero in on are the "open water" angels(term he used) like the Watanabie, Bellus and Lamarcks.

A mated pair of Bellus would be so nice, I wonder if they would work. Another cool option he had in his display tank were three "diamond angels"...they looked great and they school.

And all the LFS have purple tangs, ready to go. In the end I might add one once the green bird wrasse is out. Saw a huge purple tang today and he was really cool, like 8-10"...awesome.