PDA

View Full Version : Help! Think my green BTA might be declineing

WhoDatDSant
08/11/2013, 01:46 PM
This past week I added my first two anemones to my tank. A condy which has moved a little bit, but appears to be healthy and eats food. But my green BTA looks about dead :rolleyes:. He was discharging some brown slime-like stuff, and his mouth appears to be open. The BTA has not moved from the spot I placed him in the tank, nore has he ate any of the food i've tried to give him.

Is this nem probably dead? Should I remove him from the tank, or try to move him to a new location?

Reefmedic79
08/11/2013, 04:14 PM
Leave him be and give it time. The brown stuff discharged is poop, and they can look lousy for a little while afterward.

What are your water parameters?

hillscp
08/11/2013, 04:43 PM
Is the BTA still hanging on to the rock? I wouldn't give up on him yet. Do you have a picture?

WhoDatDSant
08/11/2013, 06:22 PM
The BTA looks much better now. I assumed it was pretty much done for when I left earlier. I sucked the poop out, left for an hour to comeback and it looks normal again lol. These were my first pair of anemones so I didn't know they would do that. Ill try put up a picture in a bit.

He's still hanging on the rock. Has proper lighting. My salinity is at 1.024, phosphate reading 0, and my nitrates were at 80 so im doing a large water change to try and lower that.

hillscp
08/11/2013, 06:26 PM
Good to hear. There is really no reason to feed those BTA's much if any. I used to feed mine but stopped. They split like crazy (read my sig) and can actually become a nuisance. I give them away and to the LFS for credit all the time. They think the first three feet of my tank is theirs LOL.

WhoDatDSant
08/11/2013, 06:39 PM
Here is a pic, the only one that will upload :debi:. But the BTA is on the right in the black rock. The purple condy has done great and been eating since I put him in on wednesday(and has moved around some). The BTA hasn't even tried to eat the shrimp i've tried to feed em, and has not moved from the spot I placed him.

It seems to be better now tho, I just want them to be healthy. Any advice for feeding or should it come around to shrimp eventually? Im going to stock up on a few foods to feed every few days as I believe a varied diet would be better.

hillscp
08/11/2013, 06:44 PM
That Condi looks a bit bleached. What kind of lights do you have?

Like I said, I don't feed mine at all. They do better than just fine :)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/A1sGA0QpyqA?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/

WhoDatDSant
08/11/2013, 07:07 PM
Well due to my LFS not getting my order in last week. I have just 1 t5 fixture with 1 actinic bulb and 1 daylight bulb. Soon as the other fixture comes in i'll be able to set the actinics and daylights on a timer. Your tank looks sweet tho. I only have a 55 and 10 gallon. I purchased the BTA with a pair of clowns, the fish i've wanted for about 15 years now lol. But the condy might be bleached im not sure, I purchased all of that from reefs2go. The clowns are tiny but seem to be pretty healthy.

TylerHaworth
08/11/2013, 09:05 PM
Those poor anemones : (