PDA

View Full Version : Reef Fanatic & IO Box

Holyreefer
08/12/2013, 03:59 PM
When hooking this float switches up do i need to split the wires to ground and i1 or are these considered single lines as im not getting any response from my ato switch and pump

slief
08/12/2013, 05:34 PM
They need to be split. One wire goes to the breakout box switch port (1,2,3,4,5 or 6), the other wire goes to the common (Gnd) on the breakout box. This is the way any type of switch connects to the break out box be it a float, water on the floor sensor, garage door opener button etc. If you have 6 switches, you would have 6 wires going to Gnd and the other six wires each going to their own connector (1-6).

Holyreefer
08/13/2013, 10:03 AM
They need to be split. One wire goes to the breakout box switch port (1,2,3,4,5 or 6), the other wire goes to the common (Gnd) on the breakout box. This is the way any type of switch connects to the break out box be it a float, water on the floor sensor, garage door opener button etc. If you have 6 switches, you would have 6 wires going to Gnd and the other six wires each going to their own connector (1-6).

i wonder why its not responding then...
Could it be my aqualifter pump?

Holyreefer
08/13/2013, 04:39 PM
http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o398/holyreefer/null-1.jpg
Here's a pic can someone help explain what I have setup wrong?

morty
08/13/2013, 06:40 PM
Aqualifters can be trouble with DC8s or EB8s. But with EB8s they should work fine when plugged into outlet #4 or #8, same with DC8s if the serial number is over 9000. They are relay-actuated outlets.

You could try plugging something else (like a lamp) into the aqualifter outlet to see if the outlet is working.

Also, have you tried holding the float at both the top and at the bottom positions to see how the controller reacts? It might be that the magnet needs to be flipped. With the doughnut float put on one way, the switch will be closed when at the bottom position, open at the top. If you slide the retaining clip off the post and flip the float around, the action will reverse. (I recommend having it "closed" in the lower position and writing your program accordingly. This way it won't flood if the switch becomes disconnected.)

Holyreefer
08/14/2013, 07:02 AM
Aqualifters can be trouble with DC8s or EB8s. But with EB8s they should work fine when plugged into outlet #4 or #8, same with DC8s if the serial number is over 9000. They are relay-actuated outlets.

You could try plugging something else (like a lamp) into the aqualifter outlet to see if the outlet is working.

Also, have you tried holding the float at both the top and at the bottom positions to see how the controller reacts? It might be that the magnet needs to be flipped. With the doughnut float put on one way, the switch will be closed when at the bottom position, open at the top. If you slide the retaining clip off the post and flip the float around, the action will reverse. (I recommend having it "closed" in the lower position and writing your program accordingly. This way it won't flood if the switch becomes disconnected.)

Thanks for the suggestion...you were right I switche it over to the eb8 and it works fine
My next question is do I wanna program all the switches with the same program?

I ended up using what you suggested but now I notice my water level is at the bottom of he float switch

morty
08/14/2013, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the suggestion...you were right I switche it over to the eb8 and it works fine
My next question is do I wanna program all the switches with the same program?

I ended up using what you suggested but now I notice my water level is at the bottom of he float switch

I don't understand what you mean by "all the switches" and what the program is, or what you're saying regarding the water level "at the bottom of the float switch". Please clarify

Holyreefer
08/15/2013, 07:50 AM
I don't understand what you mean by "all the switches" and what the program is, or what you're saying regarding the water level "at the bottom of the float switch". Please clarify

Well I noticed once i setup switch 2 with the same program as 1 switch 1 quit working is that because the programming is the same?

I meant that the float switch is seats at the down poistion and water shuts off is that correct?

morty
08/15/2013, 11:46 AM
It would be helpful if you described what you want the float switches to do, and posted the programming code.

The controller will respond to switch's condition depending on what you tell it to "look" for. For example if you write something like

If Switch1 OPEN Then OFF

then the outlet will switch off when the controller sees no contact between the breakout box connections. You can configure the float to create this condition in either the up or down position by removing the float and flipping it around. The magnet inside the float will reverse the way the switch works.