PDA

View Full Version : Article/Sticky Suggestion

JLynn
08/12/2013, 08:17 PM
I think a lot of people in the planning stages of their tanks would benefit greatly from an article/sticky on electrical safety. If there is one on here already, I couldn't find it, but please let me know if that is the case. Electrical safety is one of those finer details that a lot of people don't consider as much as they should, apart from ensuring that their heater is not endangering their livestock. Seahorse.org, for example, has two very nice articles on this subject (the first includes a variety of considerations on the topic, and the second instructs one on how to install a GCFI). Anyways, I was surprised to realize that there wasn't an article here on the subject, and I think it would be a nice addition to the series of beginner articles. Very good articles, by the way. :thumbsup:

Misled
08/12/2013, 09:01 PM
So I'll give you my opinion on this. If you don't know what you're doing, you should not be installing a GFCI. You can just as well google it and find out how to do it, but if something goes wrong, who is held responsible? You may easily find where someone on here has done it in one of their builds, or even in the sticky in the DIY forum, but as I said, if you don't know what you are doing, leave it to someone that does. By the way, I am an electrical engineer and have installed hundreds.