PDA

View Full Version : Mixing dwarf angelfish?

aandfsoccr04
08/13/2013, 01:19 PM
Are you able to mix dwarf angel fish together in a mixed reef? I'd QT them together in a 30 gallon breeder, then move them to my 120 gallon, and then they'd eventually go in the 220 gallon that I'm setting up. The two fish in question are a flame angel (Centropyge loriculus) and a potters angel (Centropyge potteri)?

Megatrev62
08/13/2013, 01:51 PM
Yes you can mix several dwarf angels provided the tank is big enough.(ie at least a 4 foot tank imo). I have a flame and a coral beauty in a 90. Had the CB for some time and it went ballistic when the flame went in. Lesson learned. Pulled the CB and left him in a tote overnight and reintroduced about 24 hours later, and everything went fine. They now pretty much ignore eachother.

So the best way to accomplish this would definitely be to introduce them at the same time. If like me you want to add one later, an acclimation box would be the way to go.

Also there are several folks here with multiple dwarf angels.

wayne in norway
08/13/2013, 02:38 PM
I'd had these together. Avoid large fish as they're likely to be males and you can't mix males

albano
08/13/2013, 03:56 PM
I have a pr of flame angels, with a pr of Multifaciatus and a coral beauty, as well as 5 large angels (~70 total fish in 450g DT) that all get along fine. I definitely recommend an acclimation box for all new intros.

aandfsoccr04
08/13/2013, 05:04 PM
So if I can get them both at the same time and QT them together that would be best then, correct?

Do I want one to be bigger than the other or if they are about the same size will they work out their differences?

MikeandNicole
08/13/2013, 09:12 PM
We kept our Joculator and false Shephardi in our 205 DT for about 10 months (just gave the Joc away).
We introduced them to the tank at the same time, and they were a similar size, the Shephardi was .5" smaller than the Joc.
For QT, I would divide the tank with egg crate so you can tell if one fish hates the other at first sight.
I agree that the acclimation box is a good idea.
Our Joc always chased our Shephardi, but the two of them mostly coexisted- she would hide when he chased her, which happened at least 1x per day, but her fins were usually perfect, her color was always good, and she is nice and fat.
That said, since the Joc was relocated, she is now the queen of our tank :)

aandfsoccr04
08/25/2013, 08:22 PM
Purchased both and will QT them together. Hopefully it works out!

Mikeeeee
10/30/2013, 01:33 PM
I just added a potter angel to my DT that house flame, wouldn't say they get along yet but tank is big enough that when they do cross paths one is able to escape the other. Hopefully in next few weeks they start getting along better then I'll add an Eibli and they can all coexist

albano
10/30/2013, 02:36 PM
I just added a potter angel to my Dt

From LFS or another hobbiest?
IME potters can be a problem... They can eat and appear to do well for awhile, and suddenly they're dead!
GL, hope it's a good one.

Mikeeeee
10/30/2013, 09:58 PM
From LFS or another hobbiest?
IME potters can be a problem... They can eat and appear to do well for awhile, and suddenly they're dead!
GL, hope it's a good one.

Picked the potter up from LFS, alls well so far