PDA

View Full Version : juvenile Goldflake Angelfish (Apolemichthys xanthopunctatus)

RDtrack
08/13/2013, 10:20 PM
So here is the story. A friend of mine got a juvenile Goldflake Angelfish. Smallest one I've ever seen. The fish was at a reputable LFS in the area for a month and a half. About two weeks ago the LFS noticed the the little guys fins were being destroyed. Part of the dorsal fin and tail were gone. Long story short the little guy was trying to live in the same cave with a Debelius' Reef Lobster. Since then the fish had been on the mend, eating and everything.

My friend bought it because he loved it and had been looking for one. Only problem is his QT tank has some fish in it that he is worried will pick on it. He is not so concerned about diseases with the fish as it has been at the LFS over a month and he knows their protocol with fish. So currently he has it in his sump. I think he'd put it in his display but he needs to catch a coral beauty first.

Do think it'll be fine in the sump for a bit? Or should he get it in his QT tank as soon as possible?

I don't have a lot of experiences with angels but I told him leave it in the sump until the fins heal and he catches the coral beauty. My thinking is let the fish recovery in the lowest stress environment. Other thoughts?

caribfan
08/14/2013, 05:25 AM
If it's been around or in a system with other fish, which have not been quarantined, I would quarantine it. I would put it in there to get the fins back to normal and really get it eating well.

jnc914
08/14/2013, 08:58 AM
The fish definitely needs QT at very least to heal up in an environment where it is not attacked by the lobster or other fish. If your friend already has other fish in the QT that he is worried will pick on the small Goldflake, tell him to order an acclimation box first. I bought a couple from Elite Aquatics and they are a fantastic way to introduce your new fish to your existing tank inhabitants. Also, is your friend overly attached to that lobster?

RDtrack
08/14/2013, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the answers.

I was going to recommend to him setting up another isolation/qt tank.....maybe around 10 gallons. However can one be set up on the quick?

I've read 50% tank water and 50% new water with a piece of live rock. Then add a HOB filter with a power head. Does this sound right. Does he need to be concerned then with the tank cycling or should there be enough bacteria in the water?

Also would you recommend not treating the goldflake with anything till it’s fins heal? Or would you put something it to help with the fin issues? I’d rather not recommend putting medication in that would affect the little guy. From what I saw it appears health except for its fins.

The lobster was at the LFS. They had the goldflake housed in its own little tank, probably a 30/40 gallon, along with the lobster.

jnc914
08/14/2013, 09:49 AM
I currently have a juvi Joculator (1.5") in a 15 gallon QT that is separate from the larger QT . It took about 2 weeks to fully stabilize the smaller tank before I felt that it was safe enough to add the fish. My trusty Seachem Ammonia Alert is stuck to the inside of the tank to let me know if there is an issue with rising ammonia. I always keep a bottle of Seachem Prime there if the ammonia starts to read on the tester. I also do small daily water changes to get out excess food.

Your friend can use live rock to seed the bacteria, but you will still need to add a bacteria product like Instant Ocean Bio-spira or Microbactor 7 from Brightwell. Also, if you are intending to medicate a fish in the QT, liverock will absorb a majority of the medication; throw some pieces of pvc in there once the tank is cycled.

I would hold off on medication and just observe the fish as it heals up. If the fish is not eating I would at very least add Prazi-Pro to treat for any internal parasites.