PDA

View Full Version : Led

oceanlife83
08/13/2013, 11:04 PM
I am in the process of trying to decide what led to go with for my 120 tank. I have looked at and researched I believe every make and model of ever led fixture on the market. I have spent countless hours researching. Any one with a 120 tank or there close too that with led that would not mind sharing there information about their led fixtures. Also does anyone have any suggestions on led's that are compatible with using a controller such as Apex, RKL, or DIY (on diy 0 - 10 v or PWM) control on the lights as I would like to be able to set moon lights and sunrise sunset, cloudy and so forth. Thanks for any information given. Lights I have contemplated :
1. Ecotech Radion gen 2
2. Maxspect R420R (Razor)
3. Reefbreeder
4.Rapid Led Dimmable Onyx
5. Rapid Led DIY led kit

neuroslicer
08/14/2013, 04:45 AM
Recently bought three dimmable Onyx units from RapidLED. The price was close enough to the DIY price (they'll even give you a code for 10% off if you ask nicely...:) ). You can easily and cheaply control the three channels (royal blue, cool white, and mixed colors of violet, green and red) with a $40 kit or you can make the controller yourself for less than $25. Colors and PAR values are great. Three units with 80 degree lenses over the 120 provide plenty of light. Units are very well built, and they use CREE LEDs. I have a post of pics on the WTMRAC forum.
Jay B.

Bbarton908
08/14/2013, 07:04 AM
I have a rapid LEDs DIY and they work great. I would recommend getting a dimmer and some lenses depending on how far your fixture is off the water and how deep your tank is but I love the ones I have. My corals love them too

neuroslicer
08/14/2013, 07:31 AM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2309342

kylathwe
08/14/2013, 08:16 AM
I have a reefbreeders fixture over my 90 gallon. Works great but can't be controlled by apex or anything. It has a built in controller to do sunrise/sunset moonlights etc.

OneReef
08/14/2013, 05:19 PM
I personally would go with the Radions. You can use a laptop to customize till your hearts content, sync them with Vortech pumps too. If money isn't an overriding factor, I'd go Radion hands down. You don't need a controller to run them. Just plug a laptop/computer into it, do your settings, then unplug the laptop. People that have them swear by the ease and customization of them. Plus, I've seen many LED units over tabks, and the Radions are one of the best looking I've seen. Nice color spread

oceanlife83
08/14/2013, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the information. Money is some what on the factor side. I am trying to stay away from the wife taking a hammer or something to the tank of the lights. ( She has threatened cause I always want a bigger tank she says. ) I have I believe just over filled my brain with options for the led lights.

PensFan05
08/14/2013, 08:35 PM
I'm considering the Aqua Illuminations Hydra. Have you looked at those?

oceanlife83
08/15/2013, 12:35 PM
i have looked at them. how many of those lights would you recommend over a 120 gallon tank. 48x24x24 tank?

HillbillyYoda
08/15/2013, 01:21 PM
1 + 1

insanityink2
08/15/2013, 05:41 PM
I would have to vote radion.
I am running 2 radion gen 2 over a 4'x3'x26" tank and they only run at about 45% and all my corals Sps Lps clams all are growing very well.

stlcard
08/15/2013, 05:44 PM
i did this research a few months back. went back and forth between ecotech, AI, and expanding my rapid led build. finally settled on Radions for reasons that are stated above. Theres a reason why so many people have them... so ill be joining that group soon enough on my 120.

neuroslicer
08/16/2013, 11:11 AM
If you're still on the fence, come to the club meeting on Aug 24. We're talking about the reviews of several LED fixtures... and you can check out the RapidLED dimmable units on my 120. If you're like most people, you'd rather not take out a second mortgage to put LEDs on your tank, yet you'd like good growth and esthetics. There are definitely other acceptable alternatives to the top of the line stuff that's out there.

oceanlife83
08/16/2013, 07:48 PM
That is very well. True. I appreciate the offer, as I have to work that day and not sure what time I will get back into Memphis. Maybe I can get an early start and maybe make the meeting.

BassandReef
08/27/2013, 09:28 PM
I use the AI Sols and I got great results with SPS. They are controllable from the fixtures you mentioned. If you are looking or quality at a reasonable price, Aqua Illuminations is the way to go.

The Radions are cool, but like heir pumps, they are simply overpriced. IMHO.

BassandReef
08/27/2013, 09:28 PM
Oh, I would do 3 fixtures over a 6 foot tank.

MPDBullitt
08/28/2013, 07:53 AM
Radions seem to be tried and true.....the infamous Mr. Saltwater tank runs them and clearly promotes the mess out of them. I'm sure he didn't pay retail ;)

Rendos is a good person to bounce these types of questions off of I bet....with access to a wide range of products he can surely give good advice.