PDA

View Full Version : why don't we use an equal #of whites to blue with T5?

kevensquint
08/14/2013, 06:35 AM
Just wondering why 90% of "which tubes do you use" are 5 variations of blue with one whiter tube? Or 6 blues to 2 whites. When I set up my 6 tubed , I used 3 kz new gen to 3 blue type tubes in fear the tank would look like windex with too many blues. So if its for growth/color aren't all those blues making everything look really blue ?

Dapg8gt
08/14/2013, 06:57 AM
I think most is personal preference for looks and them(blue + or similar) giving off that sweet spot that most corals use to photosynthesize(if that's a word lol). Also some of the white GE 6500k etc... Give off a lot of light in the red, green and yellow wavelengths that algae/plants use at higher levels than corals do.

For me its personal preference on the overall look but think of the way most corals are below a few feet of the ocean and that the depth filters out most of those wavelengths so the corals are using the bluer spectrum of the sun and accustomed to living off of that.. At least that's what I've got from the research I've done =)..

The T5 Q&A thread has all the info you are looking for in prob the last 10 pages.. Troptrea has recently gave some really in depth reviews on the topic along with the originator of the thread but it's split due to size.. All in all though there are full spectrum "white" bulbs that you can run 100% and be fine its what you personally want.

kevensquint
08/14/2013, 07:53 AM
I see, I will read those 10 pages. The stumper is when you research tge 6 tubes you want and find this
Super blue
Actinic +
Next gen 14k
Fiji purple
Super blue
Actinic +
To a new T5 er, on paper that looks like a LOT of blue. :)

Reefa25
08/14/2013, 08:06 AM
White totally washes out a blue so by keeping your tank more blue/purple, there is a color pop present that leaves people in aww! Lol. Ill take blue any day over white ;)

Dapg8gt
08/14/2013, 08:25 AM
Fwiw my 6 bulb sun power is

B+
B+
Aqua blue special
B+
Fiji purple
B+

It's like a 20k look that i will supplement with 14k build my led fixtures.. I've only ran it over the tank dry but I really like it.. All examples of it are fairly accurate.. The whites go a loong way towards bright light. I also have a ge 6500k to try out in the system fwiw..

The pages on that thread have all the info you need and examples from Michigan Mike (i think his name is) on what they look like over the tank