PDA

View Full Version : whats your night flow rate?

petere1989
08/14/2013, 03:52 PM
Just wondering what you all did for night flow. I know during the day it should be 10 times roughly the gallonage of your tank. but at night, do you turn pumps down or off or turn some off or how do you do it? reason asking because my vortechs are getting really hot being ran 24/7 and i have two other pumps that do 530gph. I was planning on having my 530's turn off at 10:00pm like they normally do, then have them turn back on at 2:00am and have vortechs turn off at 2:00am for 3 hours, then vortechs on and 530's off until they all turn on at 10:00am. (also between 10:00pm and 10:00am the vortechs would be in slow mode, but they still get really hot.) i think it'd be better personally to let them cool down for a few hours. I have the apex with the wxm so its easy to program that in to do that. anyway, long story short, what is your night flow rate vs. day flow rate? thanks!

Oceanminded
08/14/2013, 04:33 PM
Tagging along because I never thought of changing the flow at night...is this recommended? I have two Koralias constantly generating a combined 1350 gph in my 55.

ChrisQ
08/14/2013, 04:55 PM
I'm tagging along also :wave:

I have a Koralia 1050 on the way and plan on ordering 1 more for my 55g.
I too was wondering about night flow or the change in tides and currents, i'm not ready to spend $500 on a powerhead yet and we can't put these Koralias on wavemakers.

On a side note,

@Oceanminded i was wondering what would be the best way to start studying to become a marine biologist starting with no HSD or GED?

fltekdiver
08/14/2013, 07:18 PM
Hmmm, does the ocean currents slow down at night? Nope, matter of fact I'm a diver, with hundreds of night dives and seen many times currents are stronger at night

Ok, we're not talking about a ocean here, it's a fish tank, so to answer your question, my return pump and power heads run the same day & night. Sometimes I'll change the direction of the power heads. And put them into wave mode, but I never slow them down because its night

Their are pros and cons to changing the water movement at night with th chemistry of the water .

petere1989
08/14/2013, 07:56 PM
what about turning pumps off to let them cool down? less wear and tear on them. my two 530gph and vortech mp10's create about the same flow number. at night, you could just have one set on, then swap them with, say the apex, on and off like, 4 hours difference to allow each to cool off, then on all during the day. make them work a little bit i guess haha.

Oceanminded
08/14/2013, 08:15 PM
what about turning pumps off to let them cool down? less wear and tear on them. my two 530gph and vortech mp10's create about the same flow number. at night, you could just have one set on, then swap them with, say the apex, on and off like, 4 hours difference to allow each to cool off, then on all during the day. make them work a little bit i guess haha.

I'd be so anxious to have mine automatically turning off and back on...because to me that's just asking for them to not turn back on and me not notice until my tank is all stagnant and gross. :hmm2: