PDA

View Full Version : Need Serious Help...

MacMan313
08/14/2013, 08:39 PM
I went to the pet store with my kids to get a fish. After looking at the fish, my kids decided they wanted salt water fish. The fish keeper walked us through purchasing a tank (10 gallan), heater, light, live rock, live sand, 2 clarki clown fish, 2 hermit crabs, pure salt water, and 2 snails.

After researching the hobby, I realized that I have made a huge mistake. First, being a ten gallon tank, not cycled, and listening to the rep who I learned is commission based.

It has been 3 days, the fish and critters seem to be okay. After doing some research i found that the best solution at this point is to do daily 10 percent water changes to remove some of the ammonia that the fish produce. I understand that is needed for the bacteria to grow and the live rock to breed.

The fish are actively swimming, and dont seem to be showing any signs of new tank syndrom. (fins upright, no color, not layin on floor during day.)

Im currently looking to upgrade the tank to a 55 gallon ASAP to help ease the stress of the fish and keep the system more stable.

Is there anything i else I can do. Im a bit worried.

CKI
08/14/2013, 08:45 PM
those clarkii clowns need alot more room than that...not to mention the tank hasnt even cycled yet! I would recommend a 75gal as its almost the same footprint as a 55gal. Where are you located? lots of good people here willing to help esp if there is one close to ya

MacMan313
08/14/2013, 08:52 PM
Im located in Clarksville TN. I prefer the biggest tank possible, but unfortunately it was this was suppose to be for my kids room. Now, im more or less obsessed with the hobby after studying the last couple days. Im just nervious, how can i fix the mess up from listening to my lfs

pmark
08/14/2013, 08:56 PM
I agree with the 75 gallon tank. Find local hobbyists that can provide or sell you plenty of live rock that will contain the beneficial bacteria that will help you break down the ammonia.

thegrun
08/14/2013, 08:56 PM
Read the stickies at the top of this forum, there are tons of great information there. In particular read the setting up a new tank series. I would get ammonia and nitrite test kits, ammonia is the killer in a new tank, you can neutralize it with Amquel or other ammonia neutralizing additives. Water changes are your first and best line of defense.

MacMan313
08/14/2013, 08:58 PM
Read the stickies at the top of this forum, there are tons of great information there. In particular read the setting up a new tank series. I would get ammonia and nitrite test kits, ammonia is the killer in a new tank, you can neutralize it with Amquel or other ammonia neutralizing additives. Water changes are your first and best line of defense.

how much water should i be changing daily until the cycle has been completed

pmark
08/14/2013, 08:58 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=535
Find local reefers here

MacMan313
08/14/2013, 09:11 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=535
Find local reefers here

how do i join one of those groups. All posts seem to be hidden

TheGodParticle
08/14/2013, 09:11 PM
See if you can find a local reefer that will give you or sell you a couple of nice well established pieces of LR. You won't need to worry near as much then. This will help a ton with your cycle if it's enough rock.

MacMan313
08/14/2013, 09:13 PM
See if you can find a local reefer that will give you or sell you a couple of nice well established pieces of LR. You won't need to worry near as much then. This will help a ton with your cycle if it's enough rock.

I have about 2 pounds worth, and 20lb of live sand.

JonV88
08/14/2013, 09:26 PM
What saved my screw up starting with a smaller tank(6 gal biocube) than you was dr tims one and only, now I have a 29 gal but it saved me enough time to get my bigger tank ready wich was also prepared with the one and only242363

Sk8r
08/14/2013, 09:46 PM
what you've got is essentially a quarantine tank, which is not a bad thing. NO sand, no rock, just water, and an obsessively changed filter and monitored water condition: ammonia is fatal. The clarkiis are a toothed damselfish, requiring about a foot in all directions from their anemone, which itself may be a foot across, and they grow about 4" long. I would advise you give those two fish back to the store: I doubt that a store of that nature will take them back for credit. Getting into this hobby with a nano (tiny tank) is very hard. A 50 would set you up for a nice clown tank, but I honestly recommend reading the stickies above and saving yourself and the kids losing fish and having a bad experience. The hobby isn't hard to do, but it requires a careful balance between tank size, equipment, and budget, and what you plan to keep. Corals are actually easier than fish, and your 10 can support a mushroom reef with some hermit crabs and snails, maybe a shrimp, ultimately a very-very-very small-species fish, after it's had time to stabilize. It's a great family hobby, and very instructive in chemistry and biology: we're happy to help, and first of all, I think, is make the choice between the 'little' tank and a major piece of furniture (50's are about 3-4 feet long,) with a stand.

arnoldrew
09/26/2013, 10:07 AM
Where did you go? I've gotten some pretty janky advice from Pet Palace (you definitely need a HOB filter that has twice the filtration capacity as your tank for saltwater...) but I think it was more ignorance than malice. What you're describing is pretty bad, however.

Art13
09/26/2013, 12:08 PM
What may help too is adding some bacteria to the tank, it should keep down the ammonia and nitrites. They usually need a rock or sand to live in though, or biomedia if you have a canister filter.

Dmorty217
09/26/2013, 12:13 PM
First off I would slow way down and stop taking your kids to the fish store or if you do tell them NO. Read,read,and read some more. Sorry to hear your LFS take advantage of it customers commission based or not. First rule in this hobby is NOTHING happens quick! Think in terms of months and years instead of days and weeks

FTDelta
09/26/2013, 01:31 PM
Return the 2 clowns for credit until you get your tank stabled and cycled. In the meantime, research and read the stickies. Once you got that down to pat, get a pair of Occelleris clownfish instead. Or get a firefish and a clown goby and call it done. They'll both be fine in a 10 gallon for now until you decide to upgrade to a larger tank.

BrianB421
09/27/2013, 06:08 AM
Mac,

You can look at this group on facebook that sells used tanks. They are good people and you can generally find a good deal.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/Tnaquaticfleamarket/

You went to the Pet Palace on exit 11, didn't you?