PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Glass vs. Acrylic vs Grating

Twistofer
08/15/2013, 11:30 AM
I have a 75 gal aquarium with a hinged glass top that came with the tank. The hinge sits where I want to put my LED lights and causes diffraction of the LED's, no matter where I put the lights. I'm thinking of replacing the glass with either an acrylic panel or the 1" grate they use for fluorescent ceiling lights. I need something over the tank to keep my "jumpers" (aka eel) in.

Can anyone give some suggestions about which would be better?

nemosworld
08/15/2013, 11:37 AM
get this kit and you are golden.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/diy-aquarium-screen-top-kits-1-4-netting.html

Twistofer
08/15/2013, 01:24 PM
Cool, but will a 2 foot eel be able to lift it and squeeze out. I forgot to mention that I have both a external overflow box and return. My tank is not drilled.

Twistofer
08/17/2013, 10:51 AM
Any other suggestions?

sleepydoc
08/17/2013, 08:46 PM
No idea if the eel would push the screen off, but he may well be able to, if he could find something in the tank to push against.

I would use a screen and put some sort of weight or clip on the edges so it can't be easily pushed up.

nemosworld
08/18/2013, 10:52 AM
Another option is to buy thick acrylic scraps and make a top.
Go to a local acrylic shop and ask to buy scraps out of their scrap bin.

sleepydoc
08/18/2013, 03:56 PM
I tend to lean away from solid covers because they trap heat and limit evaporation, causing temperature issues, and also get dirty from salt spray, limiting light penetration.

If these aren't an issue for you and you're happy with the glass currently, the plexiglass will probably work.

uncleof6
08/18/2013, 04:13 PM
Solid tops are not a good idea for any type of marine aquarium. The top traps air (read CO2 buildup) and creates pH, as well as dissolved oxygen concentration, issues. I.E. solid tops inhibit gas exchange, which is very bad for your system. To head it off at the pass, the skimmer due to the physical properties involved, do not provide any gas exchange, leaving the surface of the DT as the primary interface for gas exchange, with the sump surface playing a relatively minor role.

Since most aquariums are NOT designed for marine systems, rather freshwater systems, the inclusion of tops is a practice that has not be curtailed. Given the needs of marine systems, anything that remotely hinders gas exchange at the surface of the DT, is bad for the health of your system.

Just an opinion that you can ignore, but eels are boring, and not really worth the hassle.