PDA

View Full Version : newb cycling

Nanoreefjj22w
08/16/2013, 05:11 AM
Hello everyone this is my first post. Glad I was told about this site this is great. Ok I currently have a 16 gal bow front which is doing pretty well. Could use more consistent water changes but otherwise doing well. But of course I'm tired of the small tank so I bought a 75 gal system. I only have the hard ware. My thinking is when I do water changes I will keep the water from me 16 gal that I take out and use it to fill the new tank. I'm in no rush to fill it. I will be buying dead sand but all live rock. Id this a good idea or should I start with new water also?

EllieSuz
08/16/2013, 05:40 AM
There is really no advantage to keeping the old water. Very little, if any, bacteria are present in water; it populates in sand and rock. I suggest you make up new saltwater to the proper salinity and fill your 75 to start your nitrogen cycle.

Brianmil7516
08/16/2013, 06:22 AM
If you have any live rock in the 16g, a more cost effective way to do this would be to not worry about live rock or sand for the 75g. Set it up with dead rock and sand and new water, use some of the live rock from the 16g to seed the 75g.

Lynxone
08/16/2013, 09:26 AM
Hello everyone this is my first post. Glad I was told about this site this is great. Ok I currently have a 16 gal bow front which is doing pretty well. Could use more consistent water changes but otherwise doing well. But of course I'm tired of the small tank so I bought a 75 gal system. I only have the hard ware. My thinking is when I do water changes I will keep the water from me 16 gal that I take out and use it to fill the new tank. I'm in no rush to fill it. I will be buying dead sand but all live rock. Id this a good idea or should I start with new water also?

I wouldn't reuse the old water. If your putting live rock in it, it will cycle very fast. If you're not in a hurry, you could use dry rock and save some $$. Or, as mentioned, just seed it with a few pieces of live rock. Good luck with the upgrade!

Nanoreefjj22w
08/17/2013, 08:36 AM
Alright thanks for the responses it's appreciated! I like everyone else just looking for a faster way to cycle. OK I'll take time with it.