PDA

View Full Version : 180 Stand build. Which wood is this. And stain color you think?

fltekdiver
08/16/2013, 08:41 PM
I'm all framed out, making a stand for my 180, and want to skin it to look like this color, which wood you think he used, and color stain?

Which wood is easier to apply stain, like the color in the photo? Maybe Birch or Oak from Home Depot ?

Donw
08/17/2013, 08:08 AM
Oak with mahogany stain.

fltekdiver
08/17/2013, 08:18 AM
Thank you !

I'm heading over to Lowes and Home Depot this morning, and didn't know what to buy

Thanks, That really helped me

Lilmatty5dimes
08/17/2013, 07:05 PM
Ok I guess I'm tagging alone for my new tank build. Lol

sleepydoc
08/17/2013, 09:13 PM
Oak is the most commonly available and most easily stained hardwood in the U.S. Birch and maple are relatively easy to find, but are prone to blotching unless properly pre-treated. (If you're going for a natural finish, it's not an issue.)

fltekdiver
08/17/2013, 09:20 PM
Thanks, I skinned everything today in 3/4" oak from Home Depot. Spent all day ripping wood on a table saw, will hopefully finish tomorrow, and start the stain process this week, as my 180 comes in Thursday, big thanks to Matt on that tip !

lanshark
08/17/2013, 11:34 PM
Been doing some staining lately and the minwax pre-stain really helped me on maple to seal and have grain show through after stain. Don't know about oak.

fltekdiver
08/18/2013, 06:15 AM
Do I need to use the pre stain on oak, being its a harder wood? I agree on softer wood, I woulndt stain without it, my last build came out great

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tap Talk

Gandolfe
08/18/2013, 06:43 AM
Look into a color called paprika, it's a very nice color and I stained my stand trim with it, it contrasts beautifully with the red mahogany stain I used on the face and doors. But I think I got it from Lowes, not home depot. and just so you know different manufacturers end up with different end colors even though they are the same color

fltekdiver
08/18/2013, 06:46 AM
Who makes it, can you post a pick, I'm finishing the trim todau, and kilkz the inside today, I'd like to start the staining tomorrow, tank arrives next weekend

Gandolfe
08/18/2013, 07:07 AM
Look at my thread..."my $150 craigslist 125 gallon bargain"

fltekdiver
08/18/2013, 07:08 AM
I'm in home depot getting trim for stand, using my phone, can you post a link ? Thank you

Lilmatty5dimes
08/18/2013, 07:09 AM
here ya go
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2045322

Gandolfe
08/18/2013, 07:12 AM
The lighter color is the paprika, you can see the different colors of red mahogany on the face and doors, from 2 different manufacturers. the darker one was minwax, the more red one was Cabot, IMO the better stain.

Donw
08/18/2013, 07:34 AM
Do I need to use the pre stain on oak, being its a harder wood? I agree on softer wood, I woulndt stain without it, my last build came out great

No. Pre conditioners are just very watered down versions of a top coat some are just pva and water dont waste your money.

fltekdiver
08/18/2013, 07:42 AM
The lighter color is the paprika, you can see the different colors of red mahogany on the face and doors, from 2 different manufacturers. the darker one was minwax, the more red one was Cabot, IMO the better stain.

Thank you, That's good to know about the cabot stain, I like the door colors also, Thanks Matt for posting the link

Don, Awesome, I'll pass on the pre-conditioner then on the oak , I used it all the time for the softer wood, but didn't think I needed it on the Oak

sleepydoc
08/18/2013, 11:49 AM

It has nothing to do with the hardness of the wood, rather the fact that some woods have areas that take up stain better than others leading to uneven coloring. As I said, this isn't an issue with oak.

If you do a search on maple or birch and blotching, you'll get more than a few hits. :spin2:

Lilmatty5dimes
08/19/2013, 11:16 AM
It has nothing to do with the hardness of the wood, rather the fact that some woods have areas that take up stain better than others leading to uneven coloring. As I said, this isn't an issue with oak.

If you do a search on maple or birch and blotching, you'll get more than a few hits. :spin2:

dang where were you about 3 weeks ago when i used it on oak. lol