PDA

View Full Version : LFS want $24 for "Frag Glue" Can I use any type of regular glue that would be Cheaper

that Fish Guy
08/18/2013, 12:51 AM
My LFS sells "Frag Glue" that is said to be safe for Aquariums.

But at $24.00 a Bottle that seems really really expensive.

I have used Regular Super Glue at Wal-Mart for 0.25 a Tube and have never had any problems.

Is there a Cheaper Alternative to the $24 LFS Glue?

Super Glue is great for Fragging things like Superman Montipora that is very think and lightweight but I am looking for a "Thicker" type glue than Super Glue since it is very runny and I need to frag some peices that I think would just fall of the plug if I tried super glue.

Is Elmer's White Glue safe?

What do you guys recommend?

l8_apex_it
08/18/2013, 12:54 AM
I use just about any Gel Cyanoacrylate (Superglue). The key is using the gel. I use my extra-thick or gel superglue for RC planes. Works great!

D-Nak
08/18/2013, 01:46 AM
When you think about volume, it does make sense to buy more. I'm willing to bet that the $24 bottle at the store isn't as expensive as you think, when you think about price per oz. (unless it's the Ecotech stuff, which is expensive and people have complained that it cured in the bottle). Typically the small super glue tubes are single-use (at least for me) while the large bottles last me a long time.

I really like the extra thick gel sold by BRS. I like that the bottle has a pin cap which prevents the glue from curing in the tip. I also like the fact that it's not that expensive at $6 a bottle.

PL-Reef
08/18/2013, 02:11 AM
I really like the extra thick gel sold by BRS. I like that the bottle has a pin cap which prevents the glue from curing in the tip. I also like the fact that it's not that expensive at $6 a bottle.

That's exactly what I use. Great glue and a great price.

Saltydrip
08/18/2013, 05:05 AM
If your looking for something like a putty there is JB Weld water weld. It's almost too thick though. You really need to work it into the pours of the rock on both pieces and then stick the 2 pieces together. I use it on large frags/small colonies. Holds up great if you manage to get a good bite.

s_kelley
08/18/2013, 05:20 AM
Any cyanoacrylate glue will work. You, like me, want a gel one though. I buy a few packs from like Walmart and they are mostly one or two uses per tube. I like te small volume because the larger containers always cure in the tube on me and I waste most of it. Haven't tried the brs one w the pin in the tube, sounds promising

d2mini
08/18/2013, 07:08 AM
(unless it's the Ecotech stuff, which is expensive and people have complained that it cured in the bottle).

Actually, it's the same thing... price it out per oz compared to the cheap tubes of crazy glue and the ecotech works out cheaper.

Crazy Glue Gel at walmart, in a .07 OZ tube is $1.94
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Krazy-Glue-All-Purpose-Gel-Formula/25084754?findingMethod=rr

Ecotech Coral Glue in a 75 ml (2.536 OZ) bottle is $20.
http://www.aquacave.com/EcoTech-Marine-Coral-Glue-Underwater-Adhesive-75ml-P3442.aspx

You would need 36.228 tubes to equal the amount of Ecotech Coral Glue which would cost you about $70. Even if you get the glue for $.99 it still going to cost you 30% more.
There's probably deals to be had in bulk or whatever but generally, the Ecotech glue is a pretty good deal.

btw, i have yet to see the Ecotech stuff cure in the tube. Been using the stuff for a couple years now.

jscarlata
08/18/2013, 07:14 AM
Find a hobby store in your area, or try tower hobbies online...cyanoacrylate glue is used in most radio control hobbies, and I'm sure it's less expensive than $24 a bottle...they have all kind of thickness options.

sharij1
08/18/2013, 07:18 AM
Any cyanoacrylate glue will work. I've used a couple of different kinds of "super glue".

LobsterOfJustice
08/18/2013, 07:31 AM
Dollar store, pack of 3 gel tubes. I get several uses out of the tubes and dont have problems with the glue sealing the tube shut after the first use. The brand they carry at lowes is more expensive and I can only get one use out of the tube.

TheGodParticle
08/18/2013, 07:41 AM
Hobby lobby sells 2oz (can't remember the exact size but it's big) super glue gel tubes for 4.99. It's their own brand and works awesome. It's the only glue I'll ever use now. The most super glue gel for the best price I've found by far.

Saltydrip
08/18/2013, 07:48 AM
I wonder if the super glue excelerator would be read safe?

dkeller_nc
08/18/2013, 07:49 AM
Elmer's white glue won't work - it won't cure underwater, and it will dissolve with long exposure to saltwater. This is true of any PVA (polyvinyl acrylate) glue, even the so-called "water proof" Titebond glues.

There are a lot of outlets to buy CA (cyanoacrylate) glue in any viscosity that you desire. Klingspor's Woodworking shop, for example, sells CA glue in thin, medium and thick. The thin is a bit thicker than what is sold as crazy glue, while the thick is about the consistency of butter that's been left on the counter for a day.

Woodcraft also sells thin, medium and thick CA glue in several brands for about $20 for 2 fluid ounces.

BTW - those that have had CA glue cure in the bottle probably have had a moisture/humidity contamination problem. CA will auto-polymerize in the presence of water vapor, which is why I store my open tubes of CA in my woodshop in a mason jar with dessicant on the bottom.

ridetheducati
08/18/2013, 08:39 AM
dollar store, pack of 3 gel tubes. I get several uses out of the tubes and dont have problems with the glue sealing the tube shut after the first use. The brand they carry at lowes is more expensive and i can only get one use out of the tube.

+1